moving bridgeport over soft ground

I finally got moved into my new house and the machines are nestled into the
garage. I have to move the lathe and bridgeport into the cellar. I have a
walk-in door to the basement but the problem is getting the stuff to the
door. There is about 40' of grass to move the stuff over. I moved the
bridgeport head and table on a skid by using rollers under it. It was quite
a job. I am leery of trying to move the base the same way. Any suggestions
on moving the base ? There is not enough room to get a large machine in to
carry it.
Thanks,
Bill W
Reply to
BW
The usual method is to get a couple of sheets of plywood and lay one down, roll the machine along it, place the next one down and roll the machine onto it, trot around and grab the first one and carry it round front, etc.
Grant
BW wrote:
Reply to
Karen Story
Right! The only tricky part will be to keep the rollers from dropping down between the plywood sheets. Having the sheets run at an angle to the direction of motion would be a big help. If the ground is really soft, you could stitch a 2x4 under each junction, and it would just push into the earth and allow the sheets to stay together.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
With the 2x4 you could nail the sheets so there would be no gap to drop a roller in.
Reply to
Nick Hull
You would have a hard time moving the sheet woun"t you.Why not just put the 2nd sheet under the 1st one ? Ray
Reply to
SMuel10363
2 lengths of angle iron with the v upwards, supported if needed (depends on how big the angle iron is, how soft the ground is) with scrap timber crossties. Then you can either lube the rails & bar the base along, or use rollers as per flat ground. Done this myself, it works quite well.
Assumes the ground is reasonably flat/level of course.
PDW
Reply to
Peter Wiley
Two sheets of 3/4" plywood. Lay the far one under the one the mill is on. Push to the new sheet, remove the old one, pry up the far end, stick the new sheet under the one the mill is on, move to this sheet and repeat. Takes more time to explain than to do.
Gunner
"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman Liebmann
Reply to
Gunner
No problem pulling out a few small nails, although I would use screws myself.
Reply to
Nick Hull
If I can't come up with three sheets I look to zenith.
The plywood prices are terrible . I use to get large counter tops from dumpster diving. Their particle board , but 3/4 and laminated on the other side. After 911 everyone seemed to stop making major screw ups. I'm sure NAFTA didn't help.
Reply to
Sunworshipper
Just "underlap" the ends of the plywood.
-jc-
Reply to
John Chase
Where are you located? I've got this new knuckle-boom I'm itchin' to try out and my wife says I can't lift her car up with it!
james, Port Orchard (seattle), Washington, USA, Earth
Reply to
RainLover
Sorry, I am in Massachusetts.
The plywood sounds good. I've got the base on a new skid that I built and I'll get the plywood today and give it a go.
Thanks,
BW
Reply to
BW
Is that Can't (as in 'NO, and that's FINAL!'), or Can't (as in 'You don't have the proper straps, rigging and spreader bars yet, you might scratch the paint Honey Dear...')?
If it was the second answer, does she have a single sister? ;-P
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
Come on over to Issaquah! I'm moving in about a month and I've got a lathe that prolly weighs more than your wife's car that needs to be stuffed into a truck or something..
Oh, and here's the secret phrase you must learn in dealing with your wife on these matters: "Hey, what can go wrong?!"
Sometimes, this is followed shortly thereafter with another magical, secret phrase: "Hey, who knew?!" ;-)
Reply to
Doug Smith
"hey, hold my beer and watch this!"
Gunner
"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman Liebmann
Reply to
Gunner
NO! Never give up yer beer! Nothing good can come of this. I once fell down an entire flight of stairs without spilling a drop. Got a standing ovation from an admiring crowd for that one..
Of course, I was considerably younger then. Now, I'd probably get all banged up and stuff. Still wouldn't spill any beer tho..
They can take my beer when they can peel my cold dead fingers from around the can. ;-)
Reply to
Doug Smith
Don't tell me, you Consider the Red Green show to be a Religion? LOL
I'd move it, but you'd have to pay for gas and ferry to get me there and back! What's your guess on its weight?
James, Port Orchard.
Reply to
RainLover
Heh.. I have seen that show a few times and it has always made me laugh out loud.
Oh, I'd gladly pay more than that. I'm looking at a 24' truck with lift gate -- gotta see how much that lift gate can lift. If not enough (and I expect it won't be) I might just take you up on that!
Weight is 3,000 lbs for the lathe. The other tools are all sub-1000 pounders and, hence, no problem even for the lift gate thang.
Jeez, I kinda dread this move. What an ordeal. But the end result will be worth it..
Reply to
Doug Smith
Well, I usually charge $50/hour for me and the truck (plus ferry but fuel is included) I can lift 7,000 lbs up close and I'm not sure what the knuckle boom can lift 20' out, but if I can get close enough to your equipment I should be able to pick and set it on a truck easily... if you're not moving too far, we could strap them all to my truck and make moving IN at the new place a breeze....
Think of it as being a patron of the arts since I'm just trying to help pay for the truck that moves my sculpture around...
James, Port Orchard
Reply to
RainLover
plywood as above plus