Machinery moving

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.
As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.
Ignoramus14340
--------------->chain As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
Reply to
Ignoramus14340
Have a beer, you earned it. ;)
Wes
Reply to
Wes
You need some neighbors - or some bigger kids.
Reply to
rangerssuck
Next time..use steel wheels or pipe. Goes much easier.
Gunner
I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Until next time. :-)
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufk> I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Prybars cannot easily lift this mill, so it is hard to use pipe. It is very heavy. I wished I ha da toe jack. I did something weird to lift the mill, but ot was iffy.
Ignoramus14340
I hope you left it level...... Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi
Ig's the type to have built his own machinery skates by now, I'da thunk. He made casters for his drill press, IIRC.
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Not for the drill press, no.
Ignoramus14147
One has to be VERY careful when using skates. Ive seen more than one machine turned over when it fell off improperly used skates. And when many machines fall over..they become "scrap". Skates are for people who do machinery moving for a living..or have much experience.
Seriously.
Gunner
I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Thinking, thinking, OH, it was for your -hydraulic- press, wasn't it?
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Hmm, what's the big deal? I've moved stuff with skates for years. I guess if you got shit for brains and let a skate come out or don't keep them well spaced, you'll tip something very heavy. Just go slow and use common sense.
karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
And whatever you do, if it starts to fall, get the fuck out of the way. Don't try to stop 1+ ton of mass with mere mortal muscle like you would try with a washer, fridge, or armoire. That kind of weight will take limbs right off ya.
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I do not have a -hydraulic- press. :-)
Ignoramus14147
I have a jaw of life hydrologic machine. Instead of a beak - I use extension rods and push upwards to lift off my Lathe so I might put steel flats under the legs. I level the lathe with the feet off concrete so the feet might not rust.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufk> >> >>
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
True indeed. And then someone hits a crack in the floor and a skate comes loose or turns sideways....
As I said....one has to be VERY careful when using skates
Gunner
I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)
Reply to
Gunner Asch
I just moved a 1000 Lb sheet metal shear into my shop. I used a comealong and extension cable. Yes, it was tiring, but not horrible.
I moved my 3500 Lb. Sheldon lathe on 1/2" black iron pipe rollers, and was easily able to start it rolling with just me pushing. I did have to stop frequently to reposition the rollers.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
This Interact was by far the heaviest (5,500 lbs if I am to believe some people on the internet) and it was very painful. I should have spent the $$$ on steel wheeled casters, then it would be easy.
I moved my Clausing 14x40 lathe and my old Bridgeport easily. I even lifted the BP with a chain hoist once and lever hoist another time.
Ignoramus14147
Hmm, I thought that was you. Who here DID make the wheelie thang for the press? It was a solid metal project, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't someone from the Wreck...
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Reply to
Larry Jaques