Machinery moving

It was about that time that you wished you owned one of the $49 HF winches, wasn't it? Every time I use my comealong I think of that.

Mechanical advantage is wondrous, isn't it?

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have a Fasco 5C, a huge ratcheting press, that is on a welding table which I put on casters.

Ignoramus32604

It's safer to use the comealong, or a ratchet puller. An electric winch doesn't give you the fine control you need to move heavy stuff safely.

A Port-o-Power hydraulic kit is really a required thing to have if you do any sort of heavy rigging / moving. It functions as a lifting wedge, toe jack, pusher, and with optional accessories as a puller as well, and all with slow, precise hydraulic movement. The separate hose connected hand pump also lets you control it from a safer position, and extension hoses are available for more distance.

Reply to
Pete C.

There was no mechanical advantage at all. The boxy legs of the lathe were on pairs of rollers each. I just gave it a shove, and it started rolling. I have a remarkably smooth concrete floor. When I first moved in 20+ years ago, I got my Bridgeport in the door, and then went upstairs to get my crowbar. By the time I got back, two friends of mine had shoved the Bridgeport entirely across the floor to the opposite end of the room, with nothing but a little hip-butting! No rollers! I was amazed.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

We were winching this up a bit of incline on a sheet of plywood, with some aluminum scraps under the legs to provide a bit of a sliding surface, so the legs didn't dig into the plywood. Also, the handy place to hitch the comealong was not a perfect line to the doorway, so we had to keep prying the shear over in line with the door. I really don't think a power winch would have been much good due to all the repositioning. Also, the feel on the comealong would tell me when the feet were digging into the wood, or similar jam-up.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Hmm, I suppose I did use that term improperly. Let's see: drag across the floor or roll across the floor on pipes. It was a definite and advantageous use of of physics which helped reduce your efforts.

Great! Sometimes you find two flat pieces which just happen create that cushion of air. Air pucks can now be used on smooth, flat surfaces to float machines around. They work wonderfully once you bump that mass into motion.

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I would say, 60 lbs worth or so is the net weight difference.

I lost 5 lbs working on this mill.

Ignoramus32604
[ ... ]

How many old style power supplies did you pull out and replace with switching power supplies? I figure that when I strip the mag amps and a bunch of the power supply transformers for my Bridgeport Series-I BOSS-3 out I will have lost 800 pounds or more of the original 3500 pounds. :-)

Well ... *easier* at least. There are some things for which yielding casters are not right. :-)

Of course, the old BP did not have the electronics and the servo or stepper motors that your new one does/did. I figure that I'll lose

20 pounds just from the change from steppers to servos. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I guess it depends on the speed. I got a dandy one for getting stuff out of the basement up a plywood ramp. It has a pendant control, worked great. It was slow enough to allow stops for inspection, etc.

I posted a few pics back when, last October?

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor