What are turbines made of (in power stations)

The old steam turbine blades I saw in the Carlsbad, CA Encina Power Plant 30ish years ago were something like 30' in diameter. They were fossil, too. (fuel oil powered) The thing was down for PM. The guy said they'd rather take them down early than wait until it threw a fin through the casing after a bearing took its final spin.

-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, doesn't look like any steam turbine I've ever seen (but that is only a few). First, the blades are dull, not shiny. Second, I agree about the diameter change there. HP turbines are symmetrical, they put the steam in the center and get IP steam out both ends. That way the HP steam doesn't come near a seal. The obvious symmetrical shape identifies them for sure. Maybe that is what this is, and just the long almost axial viewing angle obscures it. The blade angles are right for that, the rear blades are pitched opposite from the front ones.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Ah. Thanks, that must be it.