What blade for HF portable saw?

I've just ordered a portable badsaw from HF.
I remember reading that blade that come with it is pretty bad.
What would be a good blade for this saw and where to get it?
BTW I'll make a vertical stand for it and will be cutting carbon steel and
stainless up
to 1/4" thick.
Thanks,
Alex
Reply to
Alex
Alex:
Search for "band saw blade" They have the correct size and have bi-metal blades in several different tooth per inch configurations. Nice people too. A better blade will make very big difference. -Mike
Reply to
mlcorson
Milwaukee bimetal blades if they'll fit. They probably will.
You don't say how thin you might go. Use a blade with pitch fine enough to have at least 3 teeth engaged in the cut. If you don't do that you'll strip the teeth off of any blade in short order, particularly with stainless.
A blade that is finer than necessary will just cut more slowly.
Reply to
Don Foreman
************************* I went to a local plumbing wholesaler and picked up a 3 set package of Milwaukee bandsaw blades from them for about $23.00. They said all the local plumbers used these blades... I am very happy with mine, as I am still on the first one, after fairly heavy use as a hobbist. (I built a wooden laminated stand and use my portable mostly as a static bandsaw on angle iron and strap, on low speed.) I too have the two speed HF portable bandsaw, and have no complaints, considering the low cost. I do release the blade tension when not in use. I use a spring clamp on the trigger, and just use the plug as the on-off.
Reply to
charles
Charles, do you mind sending me a picture of your stand? I have an idea how to build it but it would be useful to see somebody's else construction.
Thanks, Alex
charles wrote:
Reply to
Alex
I have a PC Porta-band that I built a stand for:
The jpg is a composite pic that is very long and narrow. If your browser does shrink-to-fit, you will need to expand the pic (click on it in FireFox).
Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt
The Harbor Freight nearest my home sells the 3-packs of Milwaukee bimetal blades right next to the HF blades. Very convenient to get a cheap saw and good blades.
Pete
Reply to
Pete Bergstrom

Site Timeline