What can I do with an extra motorcycle starting motor?

Nice little and powerful 12-volt unit.

Can this be run constantly as long as it doesn't overheat?

Reply to
jtaylor

Put it in a motorycle?

Jim

jim rozen

It probably will overheat if run constantly, as they are only intended for intermittent operation, are enclosed and don't have fans. Windscreen motors can be useful.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

At maybe 3V.

Tim

Tim Williams

"jtaylor" wrote: (clip) Can this be run constantly as long as it doesn't overheat? ^^^^^^^^^^^^ My Honda 400 4 cyl used the same unit as both starter and generator. So, I would say, yes, you can run it continuously--as long as it doesn't overheat, as you have stated. It may overheat if you tried to crank an engine with it continuously, but there must be a load at which it would be happy.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I use them for other small engines and sometimes I put hem on boat winchs...

Reply to
Kevin Beitz

run

That's funny, this is from a Honda 400-four. That bike and the 350-four have seperate alternators and staring motors - are you sure your had what you remember?

Reply to
jtaylor

"jtaylor" wrote: That's funny, this is from a Honda 400-four. That bike and the 350-four have seperate alternators and staring motors - are you sure your had what you remember? ^^^^^^^^^ I was until you said that. I have owned a number of bikes, and I am getting old, so I may be slipping. However, what you have is what you have to deal with.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

We-e-e-l-l, the real reason I was asking was that the only bike I ever heard of with the starter also being the generator was an

MV 750 Agusta

and iffen you had one, you oughta tell us about it.

Reply to
jtaylor

Yamaha RS200 out in the back yard has a dynamo on the crankshaft which also serves as the starter motor.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I dunno, what can you do with an extra motorcycle starting motor?

Oh, what, you say there isn't a punch line?

Anyway, if it is like most starters, its good for high torque, but not for extended running. And at this late hour, I can't think of anything else to usee one for, aside from starting a motorcycle engine. :-) I mean, there is the door stop option, "object de arte", or even an entry in a "Alien Sex Toy competition", but I don't think that is what you had in mind.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Hmm ... if you are a ham, it could possibly be used to build a rotator for a heavy beam antenna array. That should be a "short running time, lots of cooling time" application, and in a strong wind could benefit from all of that torque -- but you would have to run fairly heavy low-voltage cable up the antenna mast to drive it.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

And building on your idea, properly geared it becomes one axis of a muy macho welding positioner.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston