What is a JIG GRINDER and what is it used for

Hi All,

Subject says it all, but really I want to know what is does that cant be replicated in a shop tith a Lathe, Mill, Shaper?

Ho Ho Ho

Happy Holidays to all

John

Reply to
CAMCOMPCO

What a jig grinder does isn't readily replicated by any other machine aside from a jig borer, and then only when the jig borer is doing work in soft (machinable) materials. Jig grinders are intended to be used to size holes precisely, at precise locations, in hard materials that otherwise would be difficult to machine. In a sense, they're a machine intended to be used by tool builders, but not necessarily restricted to such application. It's not likely the home shop type would get much use from one, so the funds expended in obtaining one might be better spent for other machines.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

My testicles. A strand of DNA from a lemur Tracy and Mikee Rasmussen...sigh..twins...

need more?

Fuck that....Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah !

And may we all have a happy and prosperous New Year.

Gunner

Gunner

What Harold said. They originally were designed to finish precisely located, precisely round holes in hardened jig plates. They would locate a hole to 20 microinches (0.5 micrometers) or so. Once upon a time (1930s - 1970s) , this was the holy grail of precision toolmaking.

They also would do other critical toolmaking jobs. The last high-volume job for which they were indispensible was grinding the punches and dies for stamping electronics parts from foil-thin metal: leadframe dies for integrated circuits, metal contacts for switches, etc.

They have a great history and are still some of the most impressive machine tools ever made. But they aren't of much use for a home shop.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Makes dead on holes in the right place in hardened materials and if you go down to the bottom of this pdf from moore tool you'll get an idea of how precise these things are.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

IIRC when Moore first developed the jig grinder there were no shop instruments with enough accuracy to match, so they were forced to develop those as well.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

If you want to see what one looks like, Pratt & Whitney in this case take a look at

I have noth> snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
wagewhore

Thanks gang, I figured you all would have some info....kind of reminds me of a huge Dremel with very accurate placement.

John

Reply to
CAMCOMPCO