What is it? Set 259

The enlarged top view suggests that it was designed so the spindle could be aligned at the workbench. On the card, the cardinal points would be diagonal lines at the four corners. At each corner, the distance from the spindle is great enough to get a reading with the head or tail.

With the head on each cardinal point, the tail should be precisely over the opposite. If when the head is on 0 the tail is on 181, try the head on 180. If the tail is on 1, you need to take the arrow off and straighten it. If the tail is on 359, you need to need to tip the brass post east, perhaps as far as the thickness of two sheets of paper. You would do this by removing the arrow and using a punch to hit the east arm of the cross. In the photo, it looks as if N,S, and W have already been hit.

In the photo it's easy to see that the camera is not aligned over the tail vane. It would be even easier if the top edge were polished bright yellow.

I'd love to own one! I wonder if Harbor Freight has any Chinese knockoffs.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

It's a General No. 7. Lo and behold, they are still made:

The pair I have are from the 40's or so.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

564
Reply to
John Martin

Harbor Freight sold a similar pair of jacks. While not great quality, have worked well enough in my home shop for many years.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Reply to
Gunner Asch

My Dad had a couple of those, which I suspect either came with the house or were WWII surplus. One corner of the house stood on a couple of them for a few years. Mostly rust the last time I saw them though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The house was resting on 2" tall machinists jacks???

why didnt he use 2x4s?

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Reply to
Gunner Asch

These ones were about three feet tall.

Reply to
J. Clarke

For more general information on Thaddeus Lowe...

Sword of Troy