What is it? Set 370

I suggest 2134 might be holder for the oil used in baptisms in the Episcopal and Roman church. Ring is so you don't accidentally drop it.

See:

For anointing, as well...

Reply to
professorpaul

Good guess! This is correct. Still not sure about two of the items but the rest of the answers have been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Along the lines that have already been suggested, is the distance between the two screws identical in 2132? Is the handle reversible?

Stephan Bird

I don't own the saw so I can't measure the distance but I don't think it's reversible, and that wasn't the intended answer.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I doubt that the handle allows for easy 45/90 degree setup: there is no "stop" to make sure of the alignment and the alignment has to be done by "eye".

I think that one of the poster who said the saw was for cutting when the material being cut isn't at the usual sawhorse height.

Reply to
Mark F

I can pretty much promise you that carpenters (at least self respecting ones) don't use saw handles to measure out angles on wood with. Many saw handles have what looks like a 90 and 45 degree angle on them but that really isn't the main point.

If the hand hole in a saw handle is at 35 to 45 (ish) degrees to the blade then that's a floorboard or flooring saw.

If the hand hole is closer to perpendicular to the blade then that's yer general duty crosscut and ripping handsaw.

Dave Baker

Don't think you really saw what the angle really was , The shape of the handle hole is the same in both of your photos, just the angle of the saw is different Whether it be a cross-cut or a back saw, the cut depends on the shape, set and number of the teeth not the position of where the hole is in the handle. Different number and set of teeth for different jobs. The angle of the handle is also for ease of use to obtain the closest angle of preferred cut If you saw me use a saw and tried to tell me how to use a saw, it would be a saw point

Reply to
George W Frost

Look at the photo again, then look again and you should see that thet handle angle is placed against the wood to be cut, at whichever angle you want, then you mark a line by using the saw blade along the wood

Reply to
George W Frost

I think it's quite likely that the manufacturer wanted to cut costs and decided on a cheaper to make handle. The angles were so they could advertise it as "new and improved" to camouflage the real reason for the change. Art

Reply to
Artemus

The *handle* itself is the stop -- and the back edge of the blade is the edge along which the lines are drawn. The back edge is at right angles to one surface of the handle, and at 45 degrees to the other. You rest one of those two surfaces of the handle against the edge of the board, and draw your line using the back of the blade.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

as.de...

That seems to be a bit of circular logic. If the purpose was merely to make a cheaper handle, then there would be no reason to make the angles 90 and 45 degrees. Those had to be purposefully engineered in, which means the 'cheaper' aspect was actually a hidden benefit, not a primary one. And the angles were the primary purpose, not a camouflage.

In any case, its a clever idea but I wonder how useful it was.

Reply to
humunculus

The first time I had to cut off a board with a saw like that, I looked for a try square and saw it (no pun intended) immediately.

Reply to
J Burns