What is it? Set 520

I think you check the coin for the best fit according to the slots, then you'll be able to calculate it's weight where no trustworthy scales are available.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Posting from my desk top PC, as always. Reading rec puzzles cause my machine doesn't want to download rec crafts metal working, for some strange reason.

3031, might be for lining up beams for new construction. I'd sure hate to drive over a couple of these on airport runway. 3032, reminds me a bit of a plumber's basin wrench. But, this is far too ornamental. 3033, earthquake grab bar for midgits. 3034, don't know. 3035, probably pilot's calculation device for maps. Might be for clearing a jammed toaster. 3036 piano metronome.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You are correct that it's for checking the weight of a coin, some of the slots on this device are for gold coins, the others for silver.

Still not sure about number 3034 but the rest have been correctly identified this week:

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to post on Thursday next week since it's Thanksgiving, I might opt for Wednesday or Friday. When I make a decision I'll post it here and let everyone know.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, that's a mirror behind it.

The owner had found two sets of these, and as you suggest, was planning to make benches out of them though we don't know yet if that was actually their intended purpose.

There is a centimeter scale in the photo itself.

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob H. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

This thing looks bassackwards to me. It would seem the larger coin slots would be closer to center and the smaller slots towards the outer edge. I see it with my own eyes but still don't see how it works as advertised.

Reply to
Larry

I don't own one of these but if I did I would take it to a local coin shop and test it with some of their coins. I'm sure that the slots closer to the middle are for gold and the outer slots are for silver.

Reply to
Rob H.

they DO follow your instinct that the heavier ones are closer to the center), while the ones that run parallel to the hinge are when the item is used as a postage scale.

The one that I posted must be an older model, it doesn't have the postal scale on it. I found one on ebay that does have the postal marks, they can be seen in the lower left of this photo:

Rob H.

Rob H. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

After a little more research, very little, it turns out that gold is nearly twice as heavy as silver. I always knew it was more dense but I never realized there was that much difference.

Knowing that I can see where some of the larger slots that are closer to the center were for silver and the heavier/smaller gold coins were weighed in the outer slots.

Stay awake and you learn something every day...

Reply to
Larry

Larry wrote in news:XnsA28163B8CD9F5none@127.0.0.1:

Disconnect between brain and fingers. That should be larger silver coins further away from center and smaller heavier gold coins closer to center...

Larry

Reply to
Larry

I'm planning to post on Friday this week, so please stop back then.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.