What is it? Set 523

    Not just *any* razor blade, nor even a single-edged razor blade. It has its own custom blade (shown in it, but not close up), which is essentially like a section from a straight razor blade, with a socket in the center of the back edge to bayonet onto a spike sticking out of the cross-bar. The blade is a desigend in part of the system, not something from the drugstore. :-)
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls_Razor
    The upper view in the second photo includes the blade handle (stuffed in the stropping handle) which appears to be missing from the one shown in the puzzle.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 12/12/2013 09:22, Rob H. wrote:

3053
My Dad had one of these. Sometimes he would let me sharpen his razor with it.
3050 Guess... A magnetic position transducer/sensor. I speculate that one of the two sets of terminals goes to a pair of opposed solenoids and the other pair goes to a central solenoid. As the stick moves the movable solenoid, the coupling between the pairs of terminals linearly changes with distance, measuring the position of the stick. I guess, it is also possible that this is a linear actuator rather than a sensor.
On 12/12/2013 4:22 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Your guess brought to mind a theremin.

    Except that the theremin used capacitive coupling, not the inductive coupling which this uses.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Sounds feasible but I don't know what this one is so until we get a good reference it is still a mystery. Thanks for the guess.
3051 Not a particularly helpful answer... This is a removable handle for turning something. The central knob cams the jaws to grasp the something. It would possibly be helpful if I had any idea of what the something is.
On 12/12/2013 4:22 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3049 I'll guess that this functions as a production fixture that is used like a 4-jaw chuck. If there is a production run, and the whitish thing is a workpiece, then the two screws with lock nuts are set up to position the workpiece and the other two screws clamp it in a centered position. Then some machining operation is done, well centered, on the exposed face. I'm still at a loss for how the fixture is held in place.
On 12/12/2013 4:22 AM, Rob H. wrote:

On 12/12/2013 3:22 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3053 is the only one I know this week. It is a Rolfe (sp?) razor that has the neatest self sharpening system going. when in the holder the blade is flipped back and forth on the hone and strop.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

This particular one is a Rolls Razor, not sure if there was one like it called Rolfe.
On 12/12/2013 7:12 AM, Rob H. wrote:

memory and age. Yes, Rolls. At least I knew it started with an R.
--

___________________________________

#3049 Part of a "level sensor" mechanism--like from an airplane? Bill

This is another one that I don't have an answer for this week, not sure if your guess is right or not, I did a search on airplane gyroscopes but didn't see a similar device.
enl snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

This answer is correct.
On 12/12/2013 8:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

I'm late to the show,and it is the only time I knew 2 of them.This,as I had to buy one once, and 3050.
As for 3050, early radios did not use variable capacitors, everything was done with inductors.
Jeff
On 12/12/2013 4:22 AM, Rob H. wrote:

*.* "no clue"
Really great set, you totally stumped me on all items. Well, at least I got the hydrant wrench, last week.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

3054, vinyl siding removal tool

3052: Looks like a telephone installers tool for crimping the small circular connectors used when splicing POTS lines.
3050: an old radio/wireless receiving loose coupler The box part has a tapped coil, and another tapped coil slides out of it to adjust coupling between the two.
Northe

3053
sharping stones
3054