What is it? XLVIII

That's what I was thinking, for something hot in the kitchen.

Correct, though there is no nut inside of this one, it's just folded sheet steel.

Yes, but it's from a No. 4 Lee Enfield rifle.

Correct.

Partially right, it does screw onto a hose and it's used for cleaning.

Reply to
R.H.

This was part of last week's set, but you are correct nonetheless. It's a book embosser, see the answer link at the bottom of that set of photos.

Reply to
R.H.

270 is a lantern slide. Edward Van Altena was a famous maker of lantern slides. It's just the right size and is quite thin. Try googling his name and you will come across some great websites with images of van Altena slides. We have a few old astronomy lantern slides at our observatory. 266 is a real mystery object. It looks home-made to me. Possibly for dipping eggs for Easter-egg dyeing? The loop looks a bit too big for this. Please test and see if it can pick up an egg out of a pan of water.
Reply to
Mike Dworetsky

Correct, what I like about the magic lanterns is that they used a flame for a light source instead of a light bulb, there are some really cool looking photos of some a the bottom of this page:

I don't have any eggs, but I can tell you that the inside dimension is 1

11/16", probably too large for most eggs.
Reply to
R.H.
  • R. H.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what really _is_ a "cheap pressed steel acorn nut"?

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

An acorn nut is a nut with a blind hole and a rounded end. It stops the threaded rod poking through as a hazard.

Nuts are made by an automatic capstan lathe. Acorn nuts (turned from solid) are expensive to make this way, because they need to be held one way round for threading, then rotates to turn the acorn. This makes them cost several times what a plain nut does.

This type of cheap acorn nut is pressed from thin sheet. A hole is punched and drawn into a rough funnel, which can be threaded. A "flower" shape is then blanked out and the petals bent together to form the acorn.

This type of nut is commonly seen on cheap metal toys, like kid's bicycles.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And -- if you want to see what the other type looks like, check out the following URL:

This particular one has a 1/2-20 thread, so it is significantly larger than the one shown in the puzzle, as well as higher quality.

It is a quick-and-dirty setup -- just the one image cropped to reasonable size. No text, no description.

FWIW -- this is a pair out of the box which I had to order to obtain one for the handwheel on my Clausing tailstock. It had the thin lock nut, but no acorn nut, which led to it working loose regularly, and to occasionally gouging my wrist. I'll figure out other uses for the rest of the box. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

P.S. Out of curiosity -- now that you have images, what is the term for them in Norway? And what newsgroup are you following this in? I'm in rec.crafts.metalworking, which explains why I am familiar with the acorn nuts, and why I happen to have some on hand to photograph.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
260 A Hollow Auger used to make round tenons
Reply to
Glen
  • DoN. Nichols

Thanks to you and Andy. What they are called in Norway? Frankly, I don't really know, but I'll check it out. (I really was puzzled because my dictionary told me that an "acorn" should be an "oak nut", so what the h... should a "metal oak nut nut of cheap varity" be? :-))

Anyway, the newsgroup I follow is rec.puzzles.

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

I can see how that would be rather puzzling. The name is because the rounded end resembles the actual nut, and the hex part for wrenching it tight (vaguely) resembles the cap which is found on the acorn.

Thank you. That suggests a background which probably would not offer you experience with acorn nuts. The woodworkers in the cross-posting list might know the acorn nuts. The antiques people might deal with them if they collect old tools and such.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Even the fact its a late one! The earlier one was cruciform in cross section and much less prone to bending in use....

Niel.

Reply to
Badger
  • DoN. Nichols

Have now found out. Some call it "kuppelmutter" i.e. "domed nut" and some "hettemutter" or "hooded nut".

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

Ok, I have to ask. Is the same word for nut also slang for testicle?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Well, as nut have several meanings in English, and those translate into different words in Norwegian, not all of them are slang for testicle. "Mutter" is the Norwegian word for "nut" as in "nuts and bolts". "Nøtt" (i.e. "Nott" with a slash through the o) is the word for the edible "nut" as in "hazzle nut" or "oak nut". The latter, "nøtt", are sometimes used as slang for testicle, but not very common. (So many others to use, "familiejuveler" (family jewels), "baller" (balls), and so on.) (OT: My first cousing got married in California a few years ago. The wedding menu was Norwegian fish balls, which is shocking by itself as this is the cheapest dinner varity you can get in Norway. As the wedding guests line up a man said "Huh, huh, I didn't know that fish had balls." Lady in front: "It must be large fish though.")

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

Well, as nut have several meanings in English, and those translate into different words in Norwegian, not all of them are slang for testicle. "Mutter" is the Norwegian word for "nut" as in "nuts and bolts". "Nøtt" (i.e. "Nott" with a slash through the o) is the word for the edible "nut" as in "hazzle nut" or "oak nut". The latter, "nøtt", is sometimes used as slang for testicle, but not very common. (So many others to use, "familiejuveler" (family jewels), "baller" (balls), and so on.) (OT: My first cousing got married in California a few years ago. The wedding menu was Norwegian fish balls, which is shocking by itself as this is the cheapest dinner varity you can get in Norway. When the wedding guests lined up, a man said "Huh, huh, I didn't know that fish had balls." Lady in front: "It must be large fish though.")

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

LOL

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Both reasonable terms, and probably easier for someone with just a dictionary for translation to understand.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
345. haven't a clue but it's fun to see the pics and try to guess 346. mortiser chisel 347. no clue. looks to me to be a non-functional item, like a neat, fun, sculpture. 348. chuck key 349. LOL. that's neat! never saw that before, didn't know it was possible. :-) electric motor. (those coiled wires on the ends of the battery reminded me of the coil of wire used for the "coin shrinker" process, you've seen that right? i wanted to offer a "joke" response for #349, "a **VERY** low voltage coin shrinker") 350. looks to me to be die cast pot metal or aluminum, i would guess it would be unwise to use as a sling-shot. (a spur? maybe... i think not.) my guess would be some kind of very lightweight "spanner wrench" for some very lightweight application.

hey Rob. thanks for putting up these "what is it" things. they're always fun to try to guess. tickles a part of my brain, fun to participate. i thought you really came up with something fun, interesting and unique when you started doing these "what is it" things.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

I must admit I'm scratching my head over how that thing works. Assuming the magnets are N pole up, wouldn't the coil of wire just get it's S pole "stuck" facing down at the magnets. IOW, how does the coil turn without having contacts that change the polarity depending upon orientation?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

All that is needed is to interrupt the current. I have already posted two ways that I could see it working. (One depends on the wires serving as the axles being just a bit off center.) The other I'll leave you to find my other articles just posted in this thread.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols