AL

From Rec.woodworking.

460: Dunno 461: Looks like a spreader / stretcher. For "O" rings? I use a similar tool to spread automotive battery terminals over posts?? 462: Dunno 463: Dunno 464: Compound guillotine. Probably for cutting wire. 465: We used to call those PV's ( or maybe pikes) only ours were about 6' long. Lineman use them to help maneuver poles around. Good for beating back bulls when in the cow pastures.
Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith
460 ? 461 ? 462 ? 463 ?(backscratcher for Sasquatch?) 464 Dehorning shear for cattle. 465 Peavey
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

is 461 something for making ice-cream cones?

Reply to
Jonathan Wilson
461 and 462 - Early OB/GYN speculum and curette
Reply to
Fred R

Nope--dehorning shears

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Okay, works for me!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

454. Telephone amplifier, sold by Radio Shack

Big John

Reply to
Big John

I use these far too regularly to be fooled on that one... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

460 -

461 - Looks like a tool used to plant bulbs in the ground. Push the tip in and squeeze the handles to make a hole the correct size.

462 - Skimming ladle?

463 - face of a carpet stretcher head

464 - Dehorning shears, fresh out of the blaster...

465 - Peavy, used to move logs and poles around. AKA cant hook

Reply to
Steve W.

Not quite the same. The photo shows a Peavy; the cant hook is similar but has no point on the end.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

I agree with the "peavy" nomenclature, but a "cant hook" has a splay point at right angles to the axis of the handle to assist in the rolling function. You can pull a log with a properly applied cant hook,

Reply to
Gerald Miller

According to Norman D. Crow :

For whatever reason, your original article hasn't arrived here yet, so I will reply to this one.

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

460) Device for putting decorative grooves in wood -- parallel to an edge -- thus the wood dowel which extends as a guide.

461) For expanding rings -- either finger rings, or perhaps rings for attaching to the ears or noses of domestic animals.

462) Spoon for reaching deep into a bird when cleaning it prior to adding stuffing?

463) Most people? It looks too aggressive to be a currycomb for pets. Perhaps part of a stretcher to keep fabrics from shrinking as they dry?

464) Obviously some kind of cutoff tool. Not for normal cable, as it would need a way to open at the sides to get to the middle of the wire. Maybe for something like cutting cork to length for bottles?

Or maybe for cutting wooden dowels to length?

does the other side look like the side shown?

465) This one is a tool used for handling logs -- back in the days when they were all dropped into a river to float down to the mill, and might get tangled up. This is what the guys who climed out to clear the logjam would use.

466) -- nope -- none there yet. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Steve W.

Hard cork... :)

If you want to consider cattle horns a dowel... :)

Yes...

It's a cattle dehorner shear...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Disagreed: Buddy is right. A cant hook (or cant dog) is a wooden rod with a hook connected to it, with or without a splay point. The earliest cant hooks were just a pole with a rigid hook connected to it, looking a lot like a modern nonmechanical can opener. Later, a eyering was added making the hook into a 'swing dingle', but it could not be controlled very well. Joseph Peavey's "improved cant hooks" had a hinge to keep the swing dingle aligned with the rod, but it was the addition of a point that made it a peavey. With a point, its a peavey: without one, its a cant hook, regardless of whether or not it has a crowfoot at the end.

Take it from a Mainer.... :-)

Reply to
humunculus

(Apparently this week they are all dog related).

460. Antique tick squisher (brush the fur until a tick is located, then hit the rod with a hammer to squish the tick). 461. Dewormer for French poodles (I hope I don't have to describe how it is used). 462. A "Pooper Scooper" for teacup Chihuahuas. 463. Close-up of a brush for wirehaired terriers. 464. Toenail clippers for Great Danes. 465. Meat hook used to feed pit-bull terriers.

-- Dogstar

Reply to
Dogstar

Must be a tough set this week, three correct so far:

463. Carpet kicker/stretcher

464. Dehorning shears

465. Peavey

The first three have no right answers yet:

460. This tool is somewhat similar to number 463, the rod held up by the spring is made of metal.

461. It is an expander as has been mentioned, I posted a photo of it with the handles compressed, not sure if that will help much.

462. This one has a three word name, with the second word being "dust".

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks for the interesting link, I knew what it was but not the history.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.