what kind of memory

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 06:59:30 +0000, Christopher Tidy

I know, "back in the day" I was one of the guys scrounging for every byte in my code - use . instead of 0 because . was single-precision, 0 took up an extra byte, that sort of thing.

The're going to ZFS (from Sun Microsystems) for 10.5 which is going to be quite an improvement on several fronts.

Sounds like they weren't set up properly; any OS9 app will just run (it fires off a OS9 virtual machine running aside the OSX OS, very much like VMWare).
    [ ... ]

    Been there. :-)

    Nice! I'm currently experimenting with zfs, and will probably move my file server's directories over to it soon.
    I didn't know that *anyone* else was going to support it.
    [ ... ]

    Of course, running in a virtual machine does slow things down a bit, even on the same processor type. Emulating to run things for another processor can be a real performance killer, but that wasn't being suggested here.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Remember tokenized BASIC, and pretokenizing the commands in the program? Saved bytes _and_ runtime that way.

Sounds like that's been delayed, won't ship with 10.5. I'd rather they wait until they've got it implemented right than to ship it early; would hate to have them emulate that other OS vendor...

It's got some very attractive features, although we're not using it in prod at my employer just yet either.

Right. The VM for OS9 in the PPC OSX boxes is probably going to run faster than your app would haev run on the older hardware you're replacing anyway, though, so...

Oh, always...
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

I used to do that on the old Commodore computers. I could write some programs in a single line, numbered zero, with a GOTO at the end to loop it. My favorite was a program to change the background, border and text colors by adding "1", then looping. It made a Commodore 64 look like the PLA chip was bad. ;-)
prove it.

Ahhh... the C-64. I wonder; do you remember the Lt. Kernal hard drive?
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

I THINK that I still have one with a bad EPROM.
prove it.

I designed it, and wrote about half the DOS.
LLoyd (There's a great Lt. Kernal support site that publishes all the data except the PLA maps)
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:29:19 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"

A very good but computer illiterate friend was terrified of harming her husband's new (486SX) computer. She, somehow managed, while playing a simple, shareware game, to change the background, text box, and text to one colour. With a good memory of the layout, I managed to get everything back to normal; this made me her hero for the rest of her life (4 months). Gerry :-)} London, Canada

...unless it needs to interface with the outside world. I still boot into OS9 in order to run decent audio software. It runs in "classic", but it can't actually talk to the audio hardware (even the plain vanilla built-in audio hardware) in classic, making classic a bit useless for that purpose. X-native audio stuff works, but X-native audio freeware is (much) crappier software than what's available free for 9.
I've gradually adapted to using X for other stuff, but there are still non-sensical aspects of user-interface parts that were changed for no good reason which continue to irritate (having used 4-9, where things were added, but not randomly reassigned as they were when X came out).

Dave Hinz <DaveHinz gmail.com> wrote:

I guess you didn't notice that he specified Microsoft operating systems. But some people are so peeved at Microsoft, they cannot help picking a bone that doesn't even exist.

Microsoft, Where do we want to carjack you to today.....

Funny, I seem to remember that he wrote:

You even quoted it. Right there, about 14 lines up. He said "any" (meaning, well, any), "especially a MS one" (meaning that this is more pronounced in the MS world). It's all right there. So...did you miss his point, or did you choose to intentionally ignore it? The reality is, not all OS's are like that, and some manufacturers even value performance over bloat. The OS internals as to how idle processes are handled have a lot to do with this; Unix was a multiuser platfrom from the beginning, Windows (well, I assume you know). So. Did _you_ have a point?
Karl Townsend wrote:

What OS? XP, with all the service packs and other patches will barely even boot in the 128 MB that was recommended when it was first released. It takes 512 minimum, but 1 GB is better.
prove it.
The OS will tell you. JR Dweller in the cellar
Karl Townsend wrote:

Hi,
Open the case, look at the motherboard and get the make and number or even just the number. Google the number and either get the whole manual or the info you need. I have to do this weekly. Put in as much memory as you can.

What make and model? You really need to know what combinations of memory and max sizes are allowed.
Wes
Karl Townsend wrote:

Before buying any memory you need to know more than what kind it is. You also need to know what the motherboard will support. For example, I had two 800Mhz motherboards, each with 256MB ram. I bought 512Mb simms (dimms, sdram, whatever) for them, but one of the motherboards didn't support 512MB size.
If this old pc is something like a Dell or Gateway or a Mac where you bought the entire system as a package, you should be able to contact the vendor either by email or maybe a support page on the web.
If not, then you should be able to get the manufacturer of the motherboard along with the model number and contact them. This should be stamped somewhere on the board itself so you will most likely have to take the machine apart to see it (at least open it up). I don't remember if there is a MS diagnostic utility that will give you that info or not.
But I have to add that if your machine only has 128MB of memory, then it is most likely time for an upgrade anyway. I just upgraded my wife's machine for about $300. For that you can probably get a motherboard that supports Intel Dual Core and has onboard video so you won't need a new video card, onboard Ethernet, onboard sound, and maybe even onboard modem if you need one. It should also cover approximately 1GB memory, and something like the Intel E6320 processor. The E6320 is a dual core with each core running at about 1.8Ghz.
All of this is for Intel/AMD processors, and Winblows, but I'm sure that this would also apply to Mac and *nix platforms too.
Good luck wit dat.
Wayne
before you spend $$ on memory, try downloading "ccleaner" and see if it helps - I've had several folks use it with great results - the important part is that it can clean up the garbage ina temp folder (which will slow down your system) and it will clean out unused stuff in the registry, which will aslo speed your system up.

The next Microsoft operating system always runs slower on the same hardware.
But if you're talking about upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP, that's almost always a good idea, especially if you add memory.
Always best to do a clean install after formatting the hard drive.
Be sure that if there are any important files on the hard drive, make a removable media copy of those files before you do anything. You should always have a copy of any important files from your hard drive. Too many people don't know that simple safeguard. A USB flash drive is easier to use than floppies and hold more data than CDs.

Probably right on target.

Your kid? What make and model of computer? Can you remove a stick and take a picture or look at the information on the module?
Probably easiest, there are programs for retrieving that information.
One called Everest I think.
The one I'm currently using http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Good luck.
forget the memory, your prolly due for a new computer. no point in investing too much into an old motherboard/processor/drive