Is it possible to search a group of SW drawings for a string of text in a note?

I need to go through several thousand drawings to see which drawings have a note with text containing "ETCH". Is this possible without creating a macro to do this?

Reply to
SW Monkey

SW explorer ( 2007 with SW 2007 ) does this just using the search funtion. I get results for items that appear only in the notes fields. Not sure of other versions.

Reply to
Brian

It's possible. Use something that searches text strings inside files. I do it often. I've also used a hex editor to change text before, but I'll admit that's risky. (It worked perfectly though)

I highly recommend the file search tool called Agent Ransack. It's faster than anything I've seen, and has the ability to save search results to text files, which will allow you to create a list to know what drawings contain the word "ETCH".

Get Agent Ransack here, it's free:

--Matt Schroeder

Reply to
Matt Schroeder

Correction, I've used the replace text string to change drawing notes, and it worked perfectly. My memory failed me for a short time...

--Matt Schroeder

Reply to
Matt Schroeder

Thanks for the replies.

@Brian, I am not using SW 2007 yet, so I cant test the functionality in SW Explorer.

@Matt, Ill check that software out, thanks :)

Reply to
SW Monkey

@Matt,

Agent Ransack finds "ETCH" in my drawing files, but it also finds "SkETCH". Any ideas how I can narrow my search to just "ETCH"?

Reply to
SW Monkey

"SW Monkey" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

Is it possible to search for ................................" ETCH "?

Reply to
Jean Marc

denews: 1170944338.465289.224__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jf= AD$z_ snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...> @Matt,

Nope, its not possible to search for "etch". In fact, I tried "Sketch" and it doest find anything. I guess its looking for the quotes also, unlike doing a search query in google.

Reply to
SW Monkey

That's one that'll require more research for me to answer...

In the help file there are logic functions that you can apply to file name character strings, but I'm not sure if those same logic functions can apply to the search for text strings.

Also, looking briefly at those logic functions I don't see one that immediately jumps out as a "NOT" function or a way to create a "this, but not that" type of function. I'm no logic function expert though...

One thing you could try is searching your drives for *.slddrw and in the text string box key in ^ETCH

--Matt Schroeder

Reply to
Matt Schroeder

I realize you stated that you were not yet on 2007. However, the searching that I did with SW explorer was with the stand alone application. It 'should' work just fine on files from earlier versions of SW. Installing it should also not screw up any files ( especially if you're simply searching file locations for future reference ).

Reply to
Brian

I had SW 2007 installed on a test machine, since we plan on upgrading within the next month. We have an IT department that handles this, and they didnt install Windows Desktop Search. It looks like SW Explorer 2007 uses this, and its required to search local files. Our IT department chose not to install WDS because it integrates into the OS and can effect other programs. This leads me to my question. Since it uses WDS, how does it search inside of SW files? I tried using this hack, but it didnt work.

My next step is to convince IT to let me install WDS.

Reply to
SW Monkey

I didn't realize it was using windows desktop search engine. During my initial install of 2007 I told SW to NOT install it, which the install program promptly disregarded. I then removed it after the installation completed. Now, after a couple service packs, like a case of herpes, its back.

An option you might try. Is to use an unimportant computer to search for you. Like your 4 year old laptop or whatever. Install desktop search and SW explorer on it, and allow it to index everything so you can search. If it hoses your OS on it.... who cares? Just a quick re-install when you are done. Or image the drive before hand and restore it after.

Reply to
Brian

@Brian,

I was unable to get SW Explorer 2007 to search for notes. I called my VAR, and they said the only notes that you can search for is custom propertys.

Any ideas?

Reply to
SW Monkey