Re: Text control in Drawings

yep, I been complaining about this for a while. my top 3 complaints about text in drawings are;

1) slippery text 2) inability to precisely locate text 3) lack of auto sizing/text wrapping

kenneth b

Reply to
kenneth b

Well, all this is not in 2004. Enhancement requests have been submitted. SW text does need a lot of work. Maybe I still have Acad baggage after 5 years, but I agree that text of all kinds could be handled a lot better.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Jeff, I feel your pain. I have been asking for sometime to have the ability to position text "just like AutoCAD" (did I say that out loud?). We have to admit it's getting better but I for one would really like more control.

Try using the alignment tools for text. They aren't perfect, but you can get some good results after some practice. They don't work in all situations but it's better than eyeballing it most of the time. Another trick is to snap the "handles" to the grid (upper left green point to a grid line). This will work for simple text, but not for text surrounded by boxes or triangles.

By all means, submit the ER. Mention that we would like "insertion" points ala ACAD. The more they see this the more they may work on it.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Whit, Let me clarify that I can still make drawings (more than) sufficient to get parts made. The wish for better control of text amounts more to frustration and "artistic control" than it does to not being able to make and annotate the drawings in the first place. We do not have to adhere to any draconian standards when it comes to drawings, and SolidWorks is more than capable of producing what I want.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

And to think we're wishing for text control to be "as good" as ottoCAD, speaks volumes as to how bad it is in SWX- not that I don't love SWX, it's just kind of a shame they, and seemingly most CAD software, seem to neglect the 2D output side of their product.

Hello!- I can't get parts made without the 2D drawing and legible text!

2¢ Whit

Reply to
whit

Don't forget leader attachment. If you have a multiline note, with a leader on the left side the leader attaches at the top, but if you have the leader on the right it attaches bottom. Make up your mind. If it defaulted center that would be great. But until they do something about this all, we have to deal with $H!TTY looking text.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Ken

I too was frustrated with slippery text until I found that using I was just turning off the leader when placing text that didn't require a leader only to find later that it moved unexpectedly. The solution was to attach the leader to something relavent like an edge or a hole and then turning off the leader. When you change properties of the view the text remains tied to the leader attachment.

Jeff

Reply to
Streets