SHOCKING! Quincy compressor needs maintenence!

People start lining up behind my desk...oh-boy! Production has ground to a halt, we have low air pressure! Just where ARE those compressors? Somebody goes back and finds them, starts up the Hydro-Vane back-up and shuts down the Quincy that's running. I told the techs to let it cool then pull the valves. Here I see that the other two Quincys have been moved out of position and unwired and unplumbed....hmmm. They were in the way when the guys installed the refrigerated drier. (Way Cool!) Besides the one pump was only running less that

50%. On the bench, the high pressure discharge valve looked the worst with carbon build-up but nowhere near what they looked like before we started using synthetic oil. We put it back together and filled the crank case up all the way until we could actually SEE oil on the dipstick!

A. Remember where the Quincys actually are. B. Use synthetic oil. C. Clean compressors once in a while, they get HOT! D. Make sure there actually IS oil in the crankcase. (Quincy's unloader won't work without oil pressure, no oil=no air, kinda' like a cry for attention without damaging the pump.) E. Buy a Quincy!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

When I called Quincy, they told me not to use synthetic.

Reply to
Ignoramus19021

My quincy has had way more trouble.Its a tractor PTO unit that runs days on end in winter weather. I have to tighten the belt EVERY year. Even had to replace it a couple times. Plus, I had to clean the unloader valve out once. Of course, the unit is only 22 years old, so its just getting broke in.

P.S. buy a quincy

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

This year, add "Check oil" to the list.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Synthetic has a different HC chain that's more likely to find it's way around seals, rings and gaskets...unless you break the unit in for a few years on legacy oil. I'd never go back, the valves tell the story.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

A few years ago I bought my first compressor. I got a Quincy 60 gallon 16 cfm @175 psi. I didn't know anything about compressors when I bought it. So far it's worked perfectly and done everything I wanted to do with it. I guess for once I didn't make a mistake when I bought it. I take it these are good ones?

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

I don't use my Quincy as much as you guys - but it's in a dusty location next to my wood lathe - I actually cleaned the air filter 2 years ago, maybe I should change the oil though, it's been 20 years or more - but it is still at the right spot on the dip stick

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

Yup. After I had my car for a few years, checking oil at each fillup went on the checklist.

Where I formerly worked, I rigged up an air pressure switch with a relay to give an audiable alarm if air pressure fell below a certain point. Pressing a button muted it until the next time.

Where I know work the ME for the line has a light connected to a pressure switch doing the same thing. Needless to say, I know where the air compressors are and I'm usually the first tech there to see wtf happened.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I forgot, I have the exact same unit. I bought it used about 15 years ago. So far, I've changed out the oil 2 or 3 times. But I do have to drain water CONSTANTLY.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Oh, what a shame. *Two* Quincy's sitting idle. Can't you imagine how frustrated they feel, & neglected. They need a new home where they can lead productive & happy lives. Surely there is a Quincy Rescue near you.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Well, when I got mine, the oil was brown and milky. I replaced it with Quincy's house brand, Quin-Cip, which looks like clear mineral oil. It has been running well since, and still looks like clear oil.

I also finally got the unloader kit for it which will let me run it with the demand I'm likely to get from my power hammer that I'm working on. However, apparently mine is old enough (1957 is date-stamped on the pressure vessel) that it doesn't have the mounting points for this in the casting, so I had to weld up a bracket to put it on.

Here is kind of a picture log of how the hammer construction is going, including a picture of the unloader setup.

Gunner, I should have the plans ready to ship to you in a few weeks. Sorry it is taking so long.

Reply to
Todd Rich