What should a new 240v circuit cost?

I agree.

It does not matter how far it goes, as far as need to get it inspected is concerned.

That seems ridiculously expensive from the description you have given. Point of reference, I had a whole new 3 phase service install from the pole to my shop for $1600. I am a more than competent "sparky", but playing with "hot" transformers is not something that I am willing to do. I farmed this one out. Otherwise, I have done all of my wiring at home/shop. As close to NEC as practical.
JW

You must have done everything wrong to get a quote that high -
* Called a Union company that's going to send 3 people out to do the work of one man.
* Have a power panel that takes oddball obsolete breakers, or your panel is stuffed full requiring new twin breakers to make room, or installing a sub-panel and re-routing the power to other devices.
(And in that case, I'd say rather than fight with an antique or undersized service, swap the whole main service out. Kick it up from 70A/100A/125A to 200A, or from 200A to 400A. That'll be expensive to do, but you pay once and you're done with it for another 30+ years.)
* And the city/county permit filing fees, including an hour for a Licensed Engineer to create certified drawings and a panel schedule, an hour for someone to run to the Building & Safety office to file the permit, and an hour or two (or four...) of the Electrician's time to sit around waiting for the inspector to arrive - the final inspection itself taking 5 minutes...

If the panel is in good shape and has a space available, and you are going right below the panel (or right behind it for panels mounted on the outside of the garage wall) with your welder receptacle, my guesstimate would be $250 to $300. And if the planets are all aligned (and it's drop dead easy) $175-ish.
No permit for small stuff like that unless the locality is ultra-picky (which all of ours aren't) - it's either done right or it isn't done, you don't need the city to tell you...
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:49:59 -0800, the inscrutable "Greg Deputy"

When I moved here 3 years ago, it took me about 4 hours to remove the wallboard behind the service panel, go up in the attic, run 3 new 240v lines, mount them to boxes and outlets, and put covers on them. (I should remove that wallboard and staple those wires, then run emt conduit to the 2 exposed outlets to make it code-legal.)
Parts:
250' of 12/2 grounded Romex - $17.95 on sale (I used about half) 3 ea. L6-20R twist-lock outlets @ 6.95 each - $20.85 3 ea. L6-20P twist-lock plugs @ 8.95 each - $26.85 3 ea. metal outlet boxes @ $0.28 each - $0.84 1 ea. 4x8x7/16" chipboard @ 6.95 - $6.95
Labor: 4 hours @ $65/hr $260
SubTotals: $73.44 in parts and $260 labor
Grand total if I paid myself: $333.44
I would feel that an electrician was ripping me off if he charged over $500 for the job. (Double the parts prices and higher labor.)
Get some more quotes or find someone to do the final hookup for cheaper and do the main work yourself. Except for crawling around the rafters, the work is not hard.
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development