What should be dimension of press fit on this shaft?

Our "engineer" bought a bearing and bar of precision ground rod. It easily slipped through the bearing and since it had screws to lock it down all was find untill. Untill i read the literature that came with the bearing and it said to have a "Press Fit" if using their bearing for "heavey loads" I just guessed that the 6,000 + lbs we were going to support qualified. After doing some calculations our "engineer" said i was right. So he ordered some bar stock that has to be machined. I told him to look it up in Machinerys Handbook for the tolerance but he got it all wrong. When i tried to find it in there i found the newer additions were a little confusing. So all i want to know is if our bearing is 1.5000 what should the shaft be turned down to. The width of bearing is about two inches. Thanks Rosco

Reply to
Butter

If the ground stock is within a thousanth or so of 1.500" you can lock the bearing to the shaft with Loctite bearing compound, available at most hardware and auto supply stores.

Engineman

Reply to
engineman

I had a high-speed shaper with 1.5" shaft and 2 matched Barden bearings on one end. We made the shaft about .00025" - .0005" big (depending on the temp) We heated the bearings on a lightbulb and seated them with a length of tube and a hammer. I have since sold the shaper.

Reply to
Buerste

Did the bearing manual have information on the amount of interference? The reason I am asking is a press fit is going to reduce the internal clearance of the bearing. That isn't a bad thing since it may cause more rolling elements to support your load.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

=A0The reason I am

aring. =A0That

The info with the bearing only mentioned to use a presss fit if used with a heavy load. I'm going to make shaft .001 over and that seems about right.

Reply to
Butter

On Jul 28, 8:24 am, Butter wrote: Untill i read the literature that came with

Rosco - theres a chart in my school textbook giving all this info (including type of fit) - if it scans ok, happy to email you a copy. (I learnt it, not saying I remember it...) Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Andrew: I would love to have a copy of it. Presently looking to re-design a transmission for my helicopter and that information would be highly desirable. Stu Fields snipped-for-privacy@iwvisp.com

Reply to