What should I do with my metal scrap?

I have an auger made of aluminum - it is a part of a meat grinder - that got oxidized inside and out; the company replaced it for me. (I sold the meat grinder on craigslist, taking a big loss).

Can I sell it and make a little bit of money to recover my loss? Would anyone buy it if I put it on craigslist? I also have some a bunch of keys + about 15 decorative bells (small ones) which I think is made of brass. I will ask my artistic friend to see whether she wants those bells.

With the gas price the way it is, would anyone be interested in paying me and come pick up? If I were to take it anywhere and get some money, what kind of place would I take them to?

Reply to
amandaF

Once again, I regret that "rec.crafts.meatworking" was never made an official newsgroup. (I think I last proposed this when I saw a meat- cutting bandsaw in a Harbor Freight flyer!)

:-).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

The whole machine weighs 8 lbs so WAG the auger at say 0.5 lbs? Half a pound times U$0.36 is about 18c worth of aluminum.

Those brass bells are worth U$1.14 per pound if you have less than a truckload of them. One or more truckloads would net you about U$76,000 per. Do you have at least 40,000 pounds of brass bells?

Perhaps your artist friend can create something with the materials you mention. Both aluminum and brass can be polished to a very shiny finish or painted or oxidized for example.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I meant the brass bell things for my friend. But then, you are right, she might want the other stuff too but she is very busy trying to create an event in her community and so she probbaly won't bother with the auger thing. I'll give it away.

Reply to
amandaF

I think rec.crafts.butchering along with rec.crafts.butchering.politics is the way to go.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I dunno, you might offer it to your artist friend instead. She could make a 'found object' sculpture from it.

Here for example is a U$525.00 (Five Hundred Twenty - five dollar) piece of 'found object' art:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Okay; I'll tell her about that too.

Reply to
amandaF

(...)

Good!

This will get her started:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:09:57 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

If you've ever seen my welding, I think rec.crafts.metaldorking or rec.crafts.butchering would be good forums for me. ;)

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

way to go.

After last sundays attempt at making a stepped key with c clip reliefs for my Clausing

6903, I'm thinking rec.crafts.metalworking.wasting.time.making.scrap .

Wes

Reply to
Wes