What type of hammer is that ?

Hello

can anyone tell me what kind of hammer is used on this pictures ?

it's used for cymbal hammering

thanks

x-no-archive

Reply to
motthieu

I assume you are looking to make or acquire something similar. The work shown is called raising, it is related to repousse and planishing. The hammer you seek would probably be called a fuller.

These may get you started:

DanG

I can't think of the name, but perhaps I can draw the symbol......

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

thank you i'm sorry but i couldn't find anything looking similar in the links you provided... ? the hammer i'm looking for looks like a huge ball peen hammer. it has a round "hitting surface"

you can see a better picture here

and videos

motthieu

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 13:52:12 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com quickly quoth:

Look at the doming and embossing hammers, motthieu.

?theLocation=/Resources/Products/Hammers/208_Embossing_Hammers - Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks

i guess these are the same type of hammers except they're smaller. they might do the job.

i think those cymbal manufacturer use home-made hammers, that pic on

clearly shows it

thanks again

Reply to
motthieu

The hammers shown on the blacksmith depot page are not all smaller- they sell a range of sizes. I have a double ended hammer I bought from Blacksmith Depot that is at least as large, if not larger, than the one shown on the agean cymbal site.

But the exact size of hammer is not that critical- you could do the same job with a cheapo chinese ball peen.

What is critical in making cymbals, is having a few years of practice shaping sheet metal, and then knowing enough about cymbals and music to know how you want it to sound, and then to spend a year or so actually beating on brass, and ruining your share of it-

Practice, in other words.

A magic hammer will not replace that.

There is a lot of mystic mumbo jumbo in the cymbal industry- but really, its mostly practice and trial and error.

Plus, using the right alloy, from the 1000 or so possible copper/ bronze alloys commercially available.

Reply to
Ries

Hello

I'm not looking for a "magic hammer" and i've been studying cymbal making for months even though i've never hammered one yet.

What i fear is that a regular ball pein hammer won't be heavy enough. Sure you could do the job with the hammer shown on blacksmith depot but most cymbalsmith use those big ones to easily shape a bronze cymbal blank that's only been roughly pressed. it may be less tiring. picture of a blank here :

when the global shape is made and depending on the sound you're looking for, a regular ball pein hammer is useful for sure for some techniques.

does anyone have an idea how heavy these big hammers may be ?

thanks

x-no-archive

Reply to
motthieu

Just out of curiousity, how does work hardening affect tone? I'm assuming the blank in the picture is soft at this moment.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

you'll find more info here

motthieu

This guys sounds like he knows what he is doing- and he only uses a 24 oz storebought ball pein hammer.

Thats a bit over 600 grams.

My guess is the turkish hammer shown in your agean link is around that size- it looks to be a pretty small hammer, probably about 500 to 700 grams max. I have blacksmith friends who routinely use hammers 2, or 5, or sometimes even 10 times that big.

My bigger doming hammer from blacksmith depot is 1000 grams, and it is definitely bigger and heavier than the one in your link.

The trick is hitting it a lot of times, in the right place. Not a few times, really hard.

I cant see how you can learn this without making a bunch of cymbals, the first few of which are not necessarily going to be keepers.

I have only done cosmetic metalshaping, not fine musical instrument shaping, but I know that it takes time to learn how hard to hit, how much space between hits, when to anneal each individual metal- some alloys, like aluminum, might need multiple annealings during a raising process. I have seen the mexican coppersmiths from Santa Clara de Cobre work, and they anneal their copper many times during the making of a vase- but it might not be desirable for a cymbal- and then again, it might.

I really think the hammer is the least of your worries. If you dont like the shape, you can reshape a hammer head with a 4

1/2" grinder or a belt sander.
Reply to
Ries

this guy buy cymbals in the market (Sabian AA Raw Ride). This model is only (perfectly) pressed, an kept unlathed. He hammers it then. So he's not working with roughly pressed blanks. The game is not the same. A cymbal that's been entirely shaped with a press and a cymbal that's been shaped with a hammer, i think you know why.

i know google won't hit the cymbal for me :) it's sure a lot of work but in fact i'm with someone who's quite an expert in hammering

Cymbalsmith never anneal a blank. Some do, but very few, mostly DIY people.

well not to me :) it's an investment and i don't have much money so i don't want to miss the point

this may be a good idea as these tools are hard to find and shipping is quite expensive...

thanks

x-no-archive

Reply to
motthieu