What valves look like on a 58 year old compressor

Work fast, you've got ONE tank of air!

Reply to
Buerste

Yanno, for that big a shop you have, you /really/ should go get a screw compressor for the primary source, with an unloader that can handle the normal shop loads. Let it run all day and unload itself at lunch.

Put it on a timer so the shop leaks don't leak all night, or shut the screw comp off at night and let the piston units feed the leaks.

(I'd use the shutoff valves at the machines at night, and go on a leak-killing binge.)

What's costing you big is the start surges on the demand meter, and if the secondary unit cycles too much you'll start burning up motors. But leave the piston units there and ready to go, let them kick in when someone wants to bead-blast or run a paint gun on a weekday.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Ive got 250 gallons of air tanks on standby. Takes a while to fill up my tanks, but I can use a DA sander for a pretty decent length of time before the compressor kicks on.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Ayup. I really like Kaeser screw compressors

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Some parts are available and some are not.

Reply to
Ignoramus1554

You just like anything with "screw" in it!

Reply to
Buerste

Bingo on the leaks! We do go on a leak hunt once a year or so, it's amazing how much air we lose all to female quick disconnects. Of course we have an odd-ball ARO model and they are hard to get and expensive. We can usually fix about half of the bad ones. There are about 150 throughout the shop and it's hard to justify replacing them all with standard fittings.

Reply to
Buerste

Lick is good too.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Some are still available from NOS. WHen I told you to check your valves..it was because when I found mine had eaten the bolt..it had eaten up the bell and the valve disk. 3 blocks away is Ventura Compressor, a very old compressor company servicing oilfield compressors of all types. They had several on the shelf. Dusty...been there a long time. But they had em.

but as the man said...dont f*ck with your compressor. Service it properly, clean the valves, and put it to work.

Its not rocket science.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

When I needed a new exhaust valve for my little Gardner-Denver, I asked at my local auto repair shop, and Dan donated the half inch ball I needed. In return, I gave him a next-to-new coil for his Model "T". OTOH, if I ever need an intake valve it will be time to roll my own on the SB"A", or find a 4 cycle engine with 5/8" head valves with 3/16" stem. Either that or find another $3.00 compressor :-)} Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

What does a 60 year old look like with a new heart valve:

a picture of hip, slick, and handsome me merged)

June will be 7 years.

Good luck to all with heart problems. Some of it works. And if it don't, at least you get SOME extra time.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Hopefully THOSE valves do not get carbon deposits. As you said, getting older is not for weenies. Glad to hear it works for you.

Reply to
Ignoramus10139

Live every day like you're gonna die, cause you're gonna. Don't be a pagan or hedonist, but savor the wine and smell the roses. And you can never tell people enough times you love them. And you can never show them too much in many little ways. Time spent arguing is time wasted living.

Now, if I could just remember that more ....................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB