Where do I go from here?

I got a new computer, and put aioe.org on it. It seems to be working fine. I also downloaded eternal september. Now, all I have under e.s. is a list of e-s config, e-s group, etc. I can't seem to find how to get a list of newsgroups to download. I right click on the news.ete.mber.org, but it doesn't give me a list of newsgroups like aioe. What am I doing wrong? Where do I go, or what do I do to get to the place where I download newsgroups?

And in the new Windows 8, how do I clear all the old messages? In the old one, I went to tools-options-maintenence-delete. Can't seem to find that path, or find the right buttons on this one. Help there appreciated, too.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Download and install Mozilla Thunderbird . Beats windoze mail all the way around . I refuse to use any OS newer than XP , as far as I'm concerned they're all junk . This laptop I'm using out in the shop was originally a Vista machine . When I got it I wiped it and installed XP Pro , only problem I had was finding some drivers .

Reply to
Snag's Shop

I used to use Thunderbird.... I think you need to right click on the news account you created in Thunderbird (in the main window - not the "accounts" menu), which should bring up a context menu. Then in this menu, I think if you choose "subscribe" you'll find the option to get, or refresh, that server's list of news groups. Once you have the list - you should be able to subscribe to individual groups.

hth,

Reply to
Bill

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong header... you're using live mail... can't help you there.

Reply to
Bill

-You're correct. Copying long file names in Windows 7 can be a major pain in the ass. I switch to Umbuntu Linux when I run -into a problem with long names in Windows 7. While this is a pain in the ass it doesn't detract from the serious advantages -Windows 7 64 bit has with making use of the kind of RAM that modern CADCAM systems require. I'm running 32 Gigs of -RAM. I need to upgrade to 64 Gigs of RAM based on what I'm now creating toolpath for.

This unofficial Microsoft developer's tool shows how much RAM and CPU you are actually using, on a real time graph.

Jim Wilkins

I went to my "premature ejaculators anonymous meeting" last night, only to find an empty room...looking at my watch, I realized that, as usual, I came too early....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I'm also using T-bird here, and it works great for me. I really like the feature of being able to hit "k" to kill a thread now and forever, which, coupled with some filters, keep most of the nasties away.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I have TB. Guess I'll have to have my computer guy come out.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB