Fuel pump

Rotaries are better/easier. The lamentation I hear from the manual guys is that it takes a tiring half hour to tank up. For cache fuel, one would work just fine. You likely won't be in any hurry to fuel up in a dystopic future. They're tagged at 10gpm, but only if you're 6'4" and athletic buff. Buy two, they're cheap. In a dystopic future, two is one and one is zero. Or buy 4 and sell the other two for food.
You'll double your investment cost if you go with an electric. Northern and HFT both have them, $99 and $129 respectively. I'm optimistic and would trust either.
Absolutely. The cheapies come in the kits, or buy a really good one with water separator. I put a nice Racor on the diesel tow truck for an employer a couple decades ago.
or similar. They do separate the water in bad fuel, too, which you might be receiving for that price. Be safe.
Get backup bung wrenches, too.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Don't know... but think I'd start by looking at pumps & pump info on the McMaster Carr website.
Erik
Reply to
Erik
I scored 250 gallons of diesel for $.50 per gallon from a friend who was
getting out of the trucking business.
Fresh fuel straight out of the trucks. I didn't ask any questions, and
he didn't volunteer a lot of information. Anyhoo, I got five 55 gal
barrels sitting on pallets that I now need to pump into my Dodge as needed.
What kind of pump do I need? I probably would need it in the future for
special times, but don't want to spend a lot. Would one of the
push/pull kinds be okay? What kind of electrical would do it without
getting a cheapie and burning it up? Would an in-line filter be a good
idea?
What to look for? Caveats? Suggestions?
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
GoldenRod filter
Reply to
clare
Yes, get a push/pull (or rotary) pump and be happy. It is not a lot of fuel and you only need so much at a time.
Ignoramus25661
To add to this: we pump a lot of oil and fuel. Pump diesel fuel out of trucks we sell, pump oil out of vehicles and machines, etc etc etc.
90% of time we use a pneumatic membrane pump that we have.
Ignoramus25661
Syphon into gerry cans or 20L drums & then pour via a funnel into your vehicle?
Reply to
Glenn B
I use a manual rotary pump to pump hydraulic oil into a 5 gal pail. It takes less than a minute to fill it up.
John
Reply to
John
Yeah, that'd do quite nicely on the outlet of the pump. And just $40.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
We always had goldenrods on the tanks on the farm.
Reply to
clare
Only that most of the aircraft guys use Northern Supply for fuel transfer equipment.

Jim Stewart