Decent fuel pump

My current fuel pump (for pumping fuel from the can into the model's tank) leaks badly. When I bought it (at the LHS), I explicitly asked if it was leak free. They confirmed.

This time, I want a good one. I don't mind spending a bit, as long as I get good stuff.

Any recommendations?

Reply to
Robert Roland

------------

Which brand of fuel pump do you currently own? Sometimes the 0-rings dry out and need replacing. Folks here can confirm or deny that possibility and might be able to provide instructions for replacing the dried out culprits.

If no answer here, go to

or
and ask your question there. I'm sure you will receive an answer.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I'm guessing hand crank here? I think Sullivan has a good one. I don't like hanger 9 or tower. The last one I bought has been good. I wish I could get the bulb kind. I do have one for GAS.(petrol) mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

The Slimline Boxxer

. I've been through many pumps and it's the only one that is made to last. Most of the junk sold these days falls apart with 6 months of hard use but the Slimline is built to last plus rebuild parts are available.

This thing is machined from billet aluminum and the pump head can be rebuilt. It costs a few dollars more but it's the last pump you'll buy.

It won't siphon and it doesn't leak!

Dave

Reply to
Whodere

I am not sure. Possibly "Texson" or something similar. Looks like the kind of stuff that anybody can buy and stick their brand name on it.

It leaked from the very start. I wouldn't be surprised if there are no O-rings at all anywhere.

It was and is cheap in all meanings of the word. I don't want to keep it. I want a good one :-)

Reply to
Robert Roland

No, 12V electric. Sorry I forgot to sepcify.

Reply to
Robert Roland

That looks like a peristaltic hose pump. Their biggest problem is that the hose wears out from the repeated squishing.

The rebuild kit costs about the same as my cheap pump. Do you have any experience with how long one kit will last?

They state that the tubing in the rebuild kit is 12" long. That should be enough for 3 or 4 changes, I'd think?

Well, $50 is quite a few dollars. With another 50 for shipping, it does not come cheap. I'll have to think about that for a while...

Except when the hose is worn out and bursts, I guess. Then you won't have a leak, but a really messy blowout. Not something I'd want inside my field box.

Reply to
Robert Roland

Yes, it's a hose pump. I've had mine for over two years now and have had no problems. I consider the cost cheap considering how many of the junk pumps I've been through. The Hobbico pumps never lasted more than 6 months for me, one lasted only a few weeks. So I've spent more on those in less time than on the Slimline. Plus I've never gone to the field and lost a day of flying because my Boxxer blew out on me.

$50 for shipping? Look again. The $50 is the total. Shipping is listed as

**, calculated after payment info is entered.

I think the rebuild kit will do one rebuild. The tube extends out of the case.

Yes, it's more expensive than the cheap, crappy pumps. But it's a solid product with customer support and is repairable. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Dave

Reply to
Whodere

Wouldn't shipping cost depend on where he was having it shipped? mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

-----------

In all of my years of flying, I've never had a fuel pump problem that couldn't be fixed with a new set of 0-rings. And I have flown A LOT.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Goedendag Robert,

Go to your local junkyard and get yourself a Mercedes or BMW waterpump for windscreen cleaning. The make is VDO, excellent quality.

Most, if not all, waterpumps do not handle gas/petrol/benzine, whatever you name it, very well. The plastic dissolves.

Prettig weekend ;-) Ron van Sommeren

near Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Reply to
Ron van Sommeren

Ooops, too fast,

I was referring to BMW/Mercedes gear-pumps, not hose pumps, in case BMW/Mercedes used those too.

Prettig weekend ;-) Ron van Sommeren

near Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Reply to
Ron van Sommeren

OK. I can't find that info now. I must have been imagining things. Anyway, I found this: "Slimline ships orders within the United States & Canada only.". And I also found exactly zero international dealers in their dealer locator table. It seems they don't want my money.

I'll see if I drop them an email...

Reply to
Robert Roland

Actually, the one I had before the cheap junk I have now WAS a VDO. It was from an Audi. The very reason I replaced it, was that it leaked. It was very old, though, so a newer one might be better. I opened it, and it seemed the rubber parts were disintegrating. It leaked less and was a lot more powerful, so the replacement was a total disappointment.

I don't have any petrol models (yet), only methanol. But I guess both methanol and nitromethane can be aggressive to some types of plastic. Since windshield wasing fluid also contains spirits, that should probably be OK. But what about rubber parts and oil. I know rubber and petroleum based oils don't go well together. What about the type of oil we have in the fuel?

Reply to
Robert Roland

Not nearly as bad as petrol Robert. A windscreen washer pump will last for years and they're probably the least expensive way to go.

I've had a VW washer pump for 15 years or more and it still pumps without leaks.

Not a problem unless you try pumping petrol. That stuff will eat a washer pump for breakfast and another for lunch.

Reply to
Beav

do washer pumps work ok in reverse?

Reply to
Kevin

Yes, no problem.

Vriendelijke groeten ;-) Ron van Sommeren near Nijmegen, Netherlands

Ron van Sommeren

reverse

Reply to
Kevin

Not necessarily. Most of them are gear pumps. They work well both ways and are also able to pull a little vacuum, so they can lift the fuel out of the can.

But some washer pumps are centrifugal pumps. They have to be mounted below the fluid level and they pump only one way. Here's one example:

(you can click the picture to get a slightly larger one).

Reply to
Robert Roland

Mine does, can't speak for all of them though.

Reply to
Beav