XtrkCAD4 - where are the extras

I downloaded this program and it works fine to design track, but I'm missing things like cars, trains, switches, etc. Seems I can do the basics of a board and layout but the further I go I run into missing extras. Like the download was only part. But I can't find more to download? Any help, thanks.

Reply to
Big_Al

File->Parameter Files

Connects you to the parameter files. "Parameter Files" contain pre-defined complex trackwork (like turnouts and crossings), structure footprints, and cars. [Browse] to the files relevant to your scale and then load them. You should have a whole directory of these files:

sauron.deepsoft.com% dir /usr/local/lib/xtrkcad/params/ accurail.xtp flnpicco.xtp mrkhocde.xtp nmra-s.xtp rocho100.xtp arnold.xtp fl-profi.xtp mrkln1.xtp nmra-tt.xtp rocho83.xtp atl100ho.xtp gargrv-o.xtp mrklnhoc.xtp p4.xtp rocon.xtp atl83ho.xtp hornby3r.xtp mrklnhok.xtp pecohom.xtp smltown.xtp atlascho.xtp hubner1.xtp mrklnhom.xtp pecoho.xtp tortoise.xtp atlascn.xtp kato-ho.xtp mrklnz.xtp pecon55.xtp trees.xtp atlasn55.xtp kato-n.xtp nmra-ho3.xtp pecon80.xtp walth-ho.xtp atlasn.xtp lgb.xtp nmra-ho.xtp peconst.xtp walth-n.xtp ctlpanel.xtp me-ho.xtp nmra-n.xtp pikestuf.xtp wlthho10.xtp fallerho.xtp me-n.xtp nmra-o3.xtp protoam.xtp fl-model.xtp minitrix.xtp nmra-o.xtp revell.xtp

The file names are pretty obviously named (nmra-ho.xtp contain NMRA standard H0 turnouts for example and atl83ho.xtp contains Atlas code 83 H0 turnouts and so on). When these are loaded, there is a row of these things shown across the top, under the tool bar and above the layout area. There are arrows at either end that you can use to scroll back and forth. Hovering your mouse pointer will display what the thing is in a slightly larger font than the labels. Clicking on something selects it for placement. Place the object by then left clicking on the layout area. If it is trackwork and you have some tracks already there it will try to connect and/or align with the existing trackwork. You can drag it around with the left button. Hit ENTER when it is where you want it. You can add another one by left clicking someplace else on the layout.

You can place/move cars by clicking on the little loco button.

Under the Tools menu are various entries that also relate to this:

Import (imports files that contain definitations of trackwork, structures, and cars/locos) Export (exports things like trackwork, structures, and cars/locos)

Turnout Designer (designs exotic turnouts)

Custom Management (manages custom objects -- trackwork, structures, and cars/locos)

Car Inventory (manages your car inventory, including creating cars)

Group (groups selected elements into some custom object) Ungroup (ungroups objects into descrete elements)

Update Turnouts and Structures (updates Turnouts and Structures)

Reply to
Robert Heller

Thanks for the mention, though. I was looking around a month or two ago, and the only F/OSS I could find was AnyRailEN, and had to run that under wine (I'm Linux only at home).

mark

Reply to
mark

In rec.models.railroad, on 25 Jun 2008, Robert Heller announced:

Hi everyone,

I am having the same problem as the OP - I've tried going to "Import" (which is actually on the File Menu), and everything there seems to be track (which I can import, and that's good, but I can't find these train cars I've read about).

I've also tried going to "Manage / Train" and I get advised that there are no cars defined in the current scale and would I like to use the car inventory dialog. From here I can also "Import" and there is nothing listed at all.

Regards

Quentin.

Reply to
OgO

OgO wrote in news:Xns9AC8BEAB585F7ogo1mynxwowaustcom@211.29.133.50:

Go to: File> Parameter Files

Click on: Browse

Browse to your parameter files directory (usually Xtrkcad\params) and select protoam.xtp

You'll need to use "Add" in the Manage>Car Inventory dialog to get cars to play with. Then, in Manage>Train you'll put the cars where you want them on the layout.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper