Where is 1075 blue spring steel used commonly ?

Hi, I'd like to (literally) get my hands on some

1075 blue temper steel gauge 16 (.062") 1/2~1" x ~4" to see if its got the right spring for a project.

mcmaster will sell me 40 ft of the stuff, but I was wondering if there's a place that will sell small samples, or better yet is there a tool or a part from a car or lawn mower that uses this steel in this gauge. I've got a suspicion that there's something in the jc whitney catalog that would suit fine, but I don't know what part.

Thanks,

Reply to
P Oster

Grant Erwin

The linear spring in a lawn mower recoil starter is about 1/2" wide, but I don't think it's 16 ga. I'd guess closer to .040. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Check with your local clock maker. There has to be an old clock spring that meets your exact requirements.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Take a look at the quill couterbalance spring on an old drill press.

Richard Coke

Reply to
Richard Coke

Don't know what the exact alloy is, but Starrett makes feeler gauge stock in 1/2"x12" sizes, you can order about the thickness you want. It's pretty springy as-is, although not spring stock. I've used it as such. You can punch it with a Whitney punch and it's file-able(barely). MSC would have it. Another source would be cabinet scrapers, these are spring steel and of various sizes and thicknesses. Most of the ones I have are about the size of a file card, you'd have to shear off what you'd want from one. You'd have to go down to a woodworking supply place and mike some up to get the right thickness.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

This is almost it, 1/2" x .050 spring tempered feeler stock.

Reply to
Charles Erskine

Have a look in the shipping department for the steel strapping used to tie down merchandise on pellets. HTH

Reply to
John