Why do lathe tailstock barrels not grip the tang (on MT shanks)?

Bend a piece of iron wire into a loop for reinforcement, oil the thread, inject Bondo or equivalent into the hole, insert the reinforcing wire, allow Bondo to cure, unscrew, measure Bondo with micrometer and thread gauge. (note to self) Learn to use full stops instead of comas.

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks! That would have worked if I had any Bondo (or equivalent). But I've already done it all -- sparked by this very thread. It turned out to be M12x1.75, and the live center now ejects cleanly with less than a turn left in the leadscrew. (I wish the others worked as close as that one does. It would save wasting some tailstock ram travel. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

No, it's poor design. On a Clausing Colchester 15 I ran for a year, the tailstock ram was like a drill press spindle; you used a key and a drift to knock out the tapered accessory.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1200+ original posts at:
Doug Goncz