Why does this part have a left-hand thread?

The little plastic operating lever on the toilet tank has a left-hand thread. I cannot think of any good reason for this.

And in passing, the place where I got the replacement had three types that would fit:

4" plain white plastic - $5.99 4" chromed plastic - $5.09 4/6/8" chromed plastic (cut to fit) - $4.29

Pay more, get less, I suppose....

Reply to
jtaylor

Normally a design incorporates LH threads where normal use would loosen RH threads. For example if a lever were mounted on the top left of a toilet tank such that the lever were to the left of the mounting screw, operating the lever normally would tend to unscrew it. Since most toilets I'm familiar with have flush handles like this, perhaps that is the reason.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

It's a quick way to separate out the apprentice plumbers who need to seek alternate careers :)

Reply to
Rex B

Yep. If you think about it, pushing down the lever has to work against the force of lifting the valve off the seat - by pulling on the chain.

So the plastic bushing that fits in the hole in the tank is trying to turn left at every flush.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Old dodges(69 dart) had the same thing on lug nuts on one side of the car. They tighten in use. Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

I just replaced the handle on one of my toilets and it was apparent to me why the thing had a left hand thread. Does this mean I have a future in the plumbing arts?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

This topic is a sore point with me. Somewhere in my shop is the worlds largest collection of left handed weed eater bolts. Every time I need to change from the string head to a brush blade I have to go buy another bolt.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore