Why is this like that?

It mostly has to do with the exhaust pipe. And the routing of the pipe and muffler depends on the engine, where is a good place to get past the transaxle and bring the pipe back, etc.

Right. Because the pedals, brake lines and throttle cable are on the left, you don't want to run the exhaust too close to them and risk the heat from the catalytic converter melting or boiling any of those parts (or the driver's feet). So, the exhaust almost ALWAYS ends up on the right, on cars for US sales, at least. So, if you already have a bunch of sensitive cables and brake lines running up the left underbody, add a fuel line, and maybe a mechanical gas door release cable, too. Now, it makes perfect sense to put the gas tank on the left, and the muffler on the right - or the muffler can cross over behind the gas tank.

That only makes sense with completely separate dual exhaust systems, or with the muffler in front of the gas tank, and the tank RIGHT ahead of the rear bumper. Hmmm, not the best place to put a crush hazard, is it?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I just got back from the NAMES show, and got about 39 MPG over the trip. That was in a 1989 Toyota Corolla station wagon, and I had a fair bit of stuff (big computer monitor, mini mill, and etc. in it.)

Oh, it has a 5 speed stick shift.

My 1976 Vega had a 4 speed and apparently they sold so few, they just put in the same final drive ratio as on the automatic version. I used to joke with people that the gears were 3rd, 4th, half-grumble and full-grumble. But, it got GREAT gas milage, especially for a 2300 CC engine. Definitely got over 40 MPG with 4 people and the air conditioning on.

The Toyota has a 1600 CC engine, seems like it ought to do better than the Vega.

In between, I had an MR2, with the 5-speed, and it got an APALLING

19 MPG, due to insane performance gears. Made a huge racket, too.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

So .. why is it that one of the biggest fastest car is made in England??

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Yup .. you missed the sarcasim :)

Reply to
Glenn

Bruce L. Bergman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hold on there a minute.. My crown vic with the 4.6L V-8 still gets 24 mpg in mixed city/hiway driving, even with 167,000 miles on it, which is about the same or better mileage than a lot of the much smaller 'mid sized' cars on the road.

Reply to
Anthony

My original comment was meant in jest :-D.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

If you mean the Rolls-Royce Phantom, I hate it. All the craftsmanship of a traditional Rolls-Royce has been lost. Essentially you're buying an insanely expensive BMW. And the '80s Town Car beats the Phantom in looks any day. The Phantom really is ugly.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin? Take your pick.

The best mpg I've achieved recently has to have been in a transit van. Even fully loaded and around town we were getting about 40mpg all weekend, fantastic. We hired one from

seems it's Fords new duratorque engine, it's a dream.

Reply to
mscgoog

This photo gives you an idea of how short the gas pump hoses have become:

Methinks a longer hose wouldn't have helped much though...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

That's what you get for using too short an extension cord -- er hose.

At current gas prices and rate of price increase, we'll all soon need extension hoses so as to buy it a gallon at a time. That'll minimize having to buy it in large quantities and watch the price rise before we can fit more in the tank. So far I haven't had the price change while pumping, but I did once watch it go up 5 cents soon as I put the nozzle back on the pump.

Nearly fainted with relief.

Reply to
John Husvar

Do you drive your age? ;-)

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

"Robin S." wrote in news:gCy3g.1271$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

I drive usually 5-15 mph over the speed limit :), but if you don't gap it when you take off from stops...it'll get good mileage.

Reply to
Anthony

LOL Didn't say it was purdy :) Just big and fast. I don't think it was a Rolls though. Some other thing that you have to order about 2 years in advance and armor plating is an option. It was big and fast and they said if you were even thinking about it's gas mileage you couldn't afford one. Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

***
Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t

57 Chevy's had them. I enjoyed it when the gas attendant had to ask for help. :-)
Reply to
Bruce Barnett

It was an earlier year Caddy... I think about 55. Our neighbors had one, the one with the dagmars.

John

Reply to
John

No, he s thinking of a '58 Caddy

Reply to
Rudy

Probably the car makers design for a world market, where right & left drive are about equally represented. My family have 2 cars, both Holden (GM rebadged in Australia), with the gas filler on different sides. Far more annoying (imho) is having the secondary control stalks on the steering column on the opposite sides, too. Very easy, after driving one car for a week, to hop in the other, & flash the lights when I want the wiper. I wish the Australian Design Rules would stipulate which side they should be. The Apollo (local model name) is a Toyota copied here, while the Barina is a bitza: German engine, Spanish body, & who knows what else...

Reply to
David R Brooks

I wonder if there's a market for a gascap that looks like a gas nozzle with a yard or so of hose? :^)

David

Reply to
David R. Birch