Why US military expenses equal to the rest of the world combined

As we know, US military expenses are just under the total combined military expenses of all other countries. And, for sure, we have an awesome military that can quickly defeat almost any organized military force in the world, maybe except the Russians.

But there is another reason why these expenses are so huge. Here's an example. A week ago, I bought two lathes and a radial arm drill press from the military. All these items were freshly rebuilt, at a great expense. After a rebuild, they were placed on extremely heavy, and totally unnecessary, aluminum frames (cost plus?). After a while of sitting, these essentially new machines were set outside for a few months, which promptly rusted them. They they sold them essentially for less than scrap for pennies on the dollar.

Here's the picture:

The aluminum subframes were worth about what I paid for them. If I did not buy them, someone else would pay even less for them.

They will be scrapped tomorrow.

I am not trying to brag, it was not that good of a deal, for me, after figuring out the cost of diesel fuel etc. I will probably make money, but not a lot. At the same time, I feel very bad about this great machinery going to be scrapped.

Out of them, I will try to clean up and sell a small turret lathe.

Ignoramus28939

They sell at barely above scrap, not worth cleaning up and marketing.

Ignoramus8485

Do you know where those machines were used? They sound like something used in a repair shop.

The frames sound like they're part of a standardized rigging arrangement, for lifting, or tie-down, or something. What do you think their purpose is?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I think that their purpose was cost plus billing, honestly.

Two 8x8s bolted under the radial drill would work just as well.

Ignoramus8485

On Monday, December 8, 2014 8:38:44 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus28939 wrote: >

Hmmm. Even though the US is now the third largest economy,behind the European Union and they behind China, which is the world's largest?

Reply to
mogulah

"China and Europe are two of the world's most ancient civilisations."

--

p.6 books.google.com

(so its no surprise)

Reply to