widening door opening to move heavy metal into shop

First contractor is basically a carpenter, so his choice was all wood, putting 4 2x12s in place of the very thin remaining concrete above the door to support the main floor. A lot of work, and leaving the whole doorway weaker than the cast-in-place steel doorframe. But, he was overloaded, and couldn't take on the job. He referred me to another guy I know, used to be a plumber, but has now gone into gen. contracting. So, he's a lot more familiar with the concrete end of things. After much fussing and hitting the same brick walls I was hitting getting anything in stock or nearly in-stock, he found some double steel doors with steel frame pre-hung for $900. He wants to do it quick, so he's going to rent some super-duper diamond saw that can cut the 8" thick wall all from one side. But, that rental will cost him $400 (or maybe $450). And, he's going to need an assistant - good idea, a ton of concrete is too much for even one really BIG guy to handle. Total bid $2500 - Ouch! But, it will be worth it, and it is going to be done right.

Oh, he's going to install a steel lintel tied in beyond the width of the new doorframe before cutting anything. That should support the concrete over the door.

Next brick wall, I call a shipper recommended by the seller of the machine, they ask "do you have an account with us?", I say "no". They quote $3400 to move the machine! When I make gasping noises, they say "well, maybe you'd be better off renting a U-haul." but, then they say I should call one of their local sales reps. I get a call back from her this morning, and she gives me a tentative bid of $819 for the same move. Ah, yes, just open an account with them and you get a 70% discount! Gee, I'd open an account with Wal-Mart and the local grocery chain if they'd give me a 70% discount, too! Where do I sign up?

Now, all I have to do is line up a rental forklift and I've got all the bureaucratic hoops jumped through.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sounds like you've got it covered. Let's analyze his bid. I would guess the job would take about 3 days to complete.

Door/frame: $900 Door lock: $50 Equipment rental: $400 Helper x 3dys: : $300 Dump fee for concrete: $100 Paint for door: $35

Total of known costs: $1,785 Contractor's take: $715 or $238 per day

Out of this money the contractor has to pay his overhead:phone, gas, truck, tool wear and tear (lots when you're busting up concrete), insurance, permit(if applicable), cost of the estimate (sounds like he spent some time on it), personal income tax, etc., etc.

If the job takes 4 days, his take goes down drastically.

This is why I plugged my number at $4K. I don't think he'll make much money on the job. Let us know when it's all done whether he was happy the way it turned out.

Reply to
Gary Brady