Will a magnetic compass work well in a semi truck?

That is not what I said. I said the the attraction of the iron in the nose mounted engine - if not magnetized, is insignificant compared to the effect of magnetized metal in the fuselage.

I didn't say that.

You remind me of the story of two brothers.Bill and Bob. Bill was a scoundrel. He had been in just about any kind of trouble you could imagine, leaving bedlam in his wake - ex wives and illigitamate offspring and a criminal record as long as your arm. He died. His brother Bob went to the pastor who was in charge of the funeral service and offered him $1000 extra if he told everyone his brother was a saint. Small-town pastors are not terribly well paid - he figured he could really use the money. At the funeral service, the pastor said "As you all know, Bill was a scoundrel, a theif, and a womanizer,There really isn't a whole lot of good I can say about him, but compared to his brother Bob, Bill was a saint!"

We don't know what kind of Semi he's talking about installing it in. Aluminum cab, steel cab, or mostly fiberglass. A set of non-sheilded stereo speakers in the dash of an aluminm cabbed Pete are going to cause more havoc than a 400 Hp Paccar up front, compass-wise

Emeraude and Jodel too. The compass can be compensated to within a degree or two with no problem Starter current can spin the compass on the jodel.

Can't compensate for a magnetized loop. Particularly if the compass is mounted to one side or other of the panel.

Reply to
clare

At one point I worked as a mechanic for a comp[any that had contracted to provide primary flight training for the Air force and had been supplied a fleet of about a hundred T-6 aircraft - recep engine, retracting gear and all maneuvers rated. see:

for a picha

Anyway, I changed the magnetic compass of one of my planes and had to swing the compass and fill out a deviation card.

As no one else seemed to know how to do it I had to read up on the procedure... the Air Force has maintenance books that tell you how to do this, and I became sort of the air base unofficial compass swinger :-)

The point is every one of the airplanes I swung the compass on had some deviation and a different deviation from any other airplane although they were all the same aluminum airframes and wings and had an identical engine installed.

Being made of aluminum and having the engine mounted way out there does not result in zero deviation.

Reply to
John B. Slocomb

That is an accurate representation of every compass swing I did with Boeing , Airbus, Fokker, and MD equipment. The company did finally wise up and sta rt keeping scans of compass cards. Don't know why it took them so long to f igure that out. If one was lost, they sent the scan from maintenance contro l.

Reply to
Garrett Fulton