Wire speed too fast on my Migmate 130DP

I have a Migmate 130DP and have found that on high power settings, the wirespeed is too fast.

I have to put it on the slowest setting for it to be usable, but this means that I have little control over the speed, as turning the dial a few degrees makes it too fast.

It seems better on the lower power settings..

Does anyone know what I can do about this? Is this a common problem on cheaper welders like the Migmate?

Jon

Reply to
jon.p.weaver

JR North

But even with it on Slow, it still comes out of the nozzle at a very quick rate.. Perhaps an inch per second.

If i turn it up to somewhere in the middle, it comes out about a foot per second.

The way that the MigMate works is that the wire gets faster depening on the power settings.. So, say I have it on the lowest and the wire speed in the middle, it might come out at 1/4" per second.. As I then increase the power (And don't touch the speed) the wire speeds up!

I don't think that it can be the thickness of the wire, as I am using

0.6mm which I think is the thinnest you can get!

Jon

Reply to
jon.p.weaver

If it's like my old Sip then there's a adjustment on the control board inside the welder. However you have to be careful with it since going to far one way will blow the diode on the board. BTDT.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Reply to
RoyJ

On cheap (and some expensive) wire welders the wire feed power comes off the welding voltage. Thus the higher you set the welding voltage the faster the wire speed runs. Some call this voltage tracking. It may take some getting used to but in some ways this makes it easier to set. At least it does for my Millermatic 135. I rarely have to move my wire speed knob very much to adjust to the different voltages.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

I spoke to SIPs support people and they were a discrace!.. He said.. Hmm. Sounds like the motor is broken!.. Perhaps it has too many windings in it!.. And then started to give me a price for a new one.. He said, of course it could be the control board, but you may as well change the motor first, as its cheaper.

But when I asked him, whether he had any idea how fast the wire should come out, he said that he didn't know.. So, he was trying to sell me a part, even though he didn't even know whether mine was faulty.

I dug a bit deeper and ask if, as a support engineer for manufacturer, didn't he have a welder one that he could play with and test.. Apparantly not...

So, I told him to forget it and last night had a look at the control board.. As you suggested, there is a pot and I gave it a little tweak which has slowed the motor right now.. Its much better now. If anything, I think I have gone the wrong way as at the lowest setting, it might be a touch slow, even on the fastest setting.. But atleast I know how to adjust it.

Many thanks for your help with this.. Its very much appreciated

Jon

Reply to
jon.p.weaver

Unfortunately typical now days.

I believe the manual for my welder had some specs for that in it.

Figures.

Great. Just be careful on the tweaking. The diode on the board is marginal in rating and will overload if the control is turned to far one way. I blew mine then replaced it and blew the second. I finally paralleled several diodes and solved the problem.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

The problem I had with my little SIP handymig set was with the relay that turns on the main transformer at the behest of the torch control. The contacts destroyed themselves. Since I didn't have anything similar in the parts bin I phoned up the manufacturers to ask for a price (not expecting much interest). The nice sales lady that I spoke to sent me a replacement as a "sample" free of charge. The replacement has not given any trouble so far...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand