Workbench photos

I had a free moment to break out the camera today. Here is a photo of the workbench mentioned in preivous posts. This was the first additon to my shop so I am very proud.

Thanks

Jason

Reply to
deja

Nice work on the bench. I hate to hijack your thread, but I notice that you work with sewing machines. Do you have any suggestions for a canvas working want-to-be such as myself? I would like to stitch boat covers/dodgers/duffel bags out of Sunbrella canvas. From what I have read, I am looking for a straight stitch machine with a walking foot. I would like to pick up a used machine somewhere, but don't know what to look for (or look out for) There is also new Sailrite machines as well as new import machines on ebay.

any advice or recommended sites would be very much appretiated. thanks and have a nice day. Andy Lynn, MA

Reply to
andy

After I read your post, I went and looked at my vise. It's mounted right, but I did it about 10-15 years ago and I can't remember exactly why it's mounted where it is, but I must have known something. OTOH, when the handle hangs straight down it blocks opening the drawer mounted underneath the vise which is another thing that many of us fail to recognize. A simple 3/4" plywood spacer under the vise would have saved me much hassle.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

On 12 May 2006 06:18:30 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "andy" quickly quoth:

Andy, I make my own line of stitched products and have a Consew 210, a straight stitch, non-WF (walking-foot) machine. If I were to do it again, I'd have spent the extra money for a WF. My $295 machine (I got it used) does everything I need it to, though, and that includes concurrently stitching through four layers of binding (double rolled edges), two layers of urethane-backed 600 denier nylon sheeting, and a thickness of closed-cell foam.

DO get a WF machine. They grab the material tighter, save effort, and don't waste materials, paying for themselves in the first year, I'm sure.

I looked at the Sailrites with a keen eye but didn't want to drop the change to buy one. The local guy set up my machine for me for 1/3 the price of a Sailrite and it does the job. If I were doing this for a living, I'd still probably have bought the used machine and moved up to new once the income afforded it, keeping the old machine as a known usable backup. The portability of the Sailrites can be good, too, but my used machine came with the large, heavy bench.

If you do buy used, from a local repairman, you'll have the service included, another good thing.

G'luck!

---- A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it.

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks for the reply. I do not plan on "quitting the day job" for canvas work. I am a DIY type with a weakness for tools. I have a boat which needs some side curtains and I figured "how hard can it be?" (bold and foolish I know) I picked up a piece of Sunbrella on ebay, and a White sewing machine at a yardsale for $10. It looked old and robust, . I had a fun afternoon cleaning it up and oiling it, but I cannot make it sew to save my life. I tried to get some advice from the local sewing place but they were no help. The place actually reminded me of Home Depot.

I was thinking that if I could pick up a used heavy duty machine with a walking foot, I would be in better shape. (here again boldly assuming that with a fancy machine I will be able to sew) my hometown used to be big into shoe making, but all the small shops seemed to have disappeared. I suppose if I find a local place to sell an industrial machine, I can also get some advice. Do you think a budget of $250 is going to get me anywhere?

Thanks for your insight, Andy Hall Lynn, MA

Reply to
andy

The easy way is to use two two by fours (:-) in the jaws that hold the front up and away when tight in the jaws. Some like it flush (more support on the back) but some like more space - so use a spacer board.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Norm Dresner wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Fri, 12 May 2006 16:07:26 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mike Henry" quickly quoth:

You can also find these at

and
, boys & girls.

Reply to