working with high speed steel

First mistake was using the old planer blades for something to be forged. O1 or even OCS(Old Chevy Spring) would probably have been a better choice. At this point, I'd cut the tangs off, they're going to be too brittle to stand up and will be unbendable, and braze on some low-carbon rod stock for your tangs. HSS or D2 is not something you can anneal at home successfully and then reharden. It's not like carbon steel at all, you can't just heat it up red hot, slowly cool and soften it up. This would probably have been a good application for high-carbon steel differentially hardened, hard cutting edge, soft back and tangs. Or you could have brazed a cutting edge onto a low- carbon body. You've gone this far, though, see how well what you have works.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I finally found some notes on forging HSS a couple of nights ago. 2,250 -

2300 deg. F. Yike!

It didn't say if the steel had to be annealed first, but I think not, because at those temperatures you've put the carbides and the carbon back into solution -- and you've almost melted the whole mess.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I made a form tool from some tough Steel from my lathe cutter blanks. I had hoped to form brass and what I could.

So I got my carbide drill and chucked it up in the drill press. I put the blank in a vice with some space and a ceramic block under it.

The stick would not drill until it was almost molten a orange-red and so was the drill. It started cutting - I just gritted my teeth and kept up the pressure. It went through it and made a great hole.

I allowed both to cool off and the drill was still sharp and the blank had some flange effect where the drill came through. Grind that off and begin to grind the two cutters that had a hole within.

Mart> >> so I have a tooling project that involves a bit of reworked HSS

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Did your reference say what tooling to use?

I would imagine either carbide or cobalt/chrome based material would have to be used at temps at or above 1600???

Then the forging returned to a furnace...

Transfer some cash from your account to my account (:-)!!!!

Matt

Reply to
matthew maguire

It was just an abstract from a tech paper, which I'd have to pay for to get the whole thing -- not. I'm sure this is covered in ASM literature somewhere but I don't have free access to that anymore.

Right. I wish I had time and inclination to test this, because now I'm curious.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress