WTB: comperssor (long)

I find myself in need of a new/additional air compressor. I recently installed a lift at my house and the compressor I have is an old Westinghouse model 1BYC using a 1hp motor, output was 120psi and I had to up it to 140 to lift my truck but it takes 3 cycles of the compressor to go all the way up. So; I need a larger compressor. Sticker shock sets in.....Yikes! I called around and what I need is usually in the $1200-$1400 range, I even called a builder that rebuilds compressors and he is the one that wants $1400 for a rebuilt. What I want/need is an 80gal. 150+ psi 15+ cfm 2 stage compressor that is cast iron head style. I would really like to stay away from alum. as I understand that they don't last very well. I looked on line and the Sears (which is alum. heads with steel sleeves) and the PorterCable appear to be the identical machines (probably come off the same assembly line) but those are the specs that I am looking to come close to. I realize that you usually get what you pay for so I don't have any illusions that I will be shelling out several hundreds dollars including shipping. Anybody have a good used compressor that they would be willing to part with for a fellow rcmer? Gunner? I am willing to travel a few hundreds miles if necessary. I'm in Tucson.

Mike

Reply to
mike

Start watching local auctions and get to know Marty Escarcega up in Phoenix. After awhile you'll find a big old industrial unit for about $500, just what you need. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I do know Marty, I hope to hear from him but didn't cc him, maybe I should have.

Mike

Reply to
mike

compressors

A less expensive solution. Depending on how many times you lift vehicles, you may only need an additional tank. Tee a used 80 gallon tank into your system with a check valve so it only receives air from your current system. Draw your air for the lift from the new tank. This way, the lift has the total volume of both tanks available to it and your other shop air loads only use the original air system. This will keep your compressor from having to keep up with a large storage volume when you are not using the lift. If you do multiple lifts a day, this is probably not your solution.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

You can also ask around and see what you scare up. I bought the same size head for $250 rebuilt by a one man compressor shop. $40 for a tank, I've got less than $500 in it. Plus a lot of work and scrounging, of course. This approach takes time and patience.

Steve

mike wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith
[posted and mailed]

"mike" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I see them every so often, though I don't know of one now. They turn up fairly regularly and fairly inexpensive. Much depends one how soon you want one. I will keep watchful eye for you. Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega