Your Fave BBQ Design / Tweaks You'd Make?

Hello All,

I'm prompted to post this because of the earlier thread here [ Son's BBQ Pit Project ] by a dad whose son made a bbq and a couple of suggestions were a bracket for a shade umbrella and welding cheap axes where you want handles - weld the heads and the axe handles are....handles.

Some of my "drinking buddies" scored some large steel tubes (3/8" thickness) and want to make a BBQ smoker between xmas and new years. (they have access to lots of metal working equipment - saws, welders, etc)

I've been tasked to find some BBQ designs for inspiration. So, I'd like to know what your fave BBQ design looks like and also what improvements/tweaks you either made or want to make.

I know about these 2 sites:

Thanks for any guidance you care to share!

***********************************
facebook & twitter too Remember Aunty = Anti
Reply to
AuntyPalin

I'll open this can of worms. It all depends on if you want to grill or actually barbecue. One requires low heat, and the other requires high heat. Identify which one you are actually want to do, or a combination of them both, and go from there. And, as you are doing, reading up ahead of time is good. Watch some videos, and try to see what those boys who do it in professional competitions use.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

How about a front reflector. Many BBQs tend to be hotter at the rear than at the front.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Steve, are you an active s/low heat BBQer? If so I'd like to know what you like/dislike/changed on your rig. Also if you have and pictures/links to your rig or rigs/designs you like that would be appreciated.

***********************************
facebook & twitter too Remember Aunty = Anti
Reply to
AuntyPalin

Thank you Bob, I had not heard of a heat reflector before (besides foil wrapping the meat)

Perhaps the main area of interest/concern/ignorance for our group is what makes for a great firebox design and sending that heat in an even and controlled way up to the meat.

facebook & twitter too Remember Aunty = Anti
Reply to
AuntyPalin

I'll open this can of worms. It all depends on if you want to grill or actually barbecue. One requires low heat, and the other requires high heat. Identify which one you are actually want to do, or a combination of them both, and go from there. And, as you are doing, reading up ahead of time is good. Watch some videos, and try to see what those boys who do it in professional competitions use.

Steve

Reply: look at the Lincoln Electric site. I know they have a couple BBQ's on the customer built area.

Califbill