Subject Author Posted Replies

Columbian Bench Press - The Jim Wilkins Special
Okay, my little Columbian isn't even in the same league, but I thought you might enjoy seeing what kind of clamping force can be achieved with a premium vise. found it interesting that I saw a lot of...
7
7

career hustle LI - made possible by recent Contact Form
Copy of "hustling" message on "LinkedIn". The elevation of my perspective and the confidence on my feet/ foundations has gone rapid upwards recently. I had a lot of confidence knocked out of me by a...
4
4

Fairbanks Morse D38 engine
Hi all You are folks of many interests and much knowledge. The "Fukushima" mess-up had my thoughts inconclusively jump to "D38". I heard the entire engine could be passed through the service hatch of...
2
2

Reactivity of Steel At Elevated Temperatures
Most of us know If you dump a ton of oxygen, heat, and fuel on steel it can burn. Burn may be technically arguable but a very violent reaction resulting in loss of material in its original form...
23
23

Teflon Runners
Technically PTFE as Teflon (tm) is a trade name and tends to cost a bit more. In casting and injection I make primarily aluminum molds. I do some steel press dies, and other things, but mostly I make...

Spindle Spider: Buy vs. Make
I'm thinking of buying a spindle spider for my mini-lathe, but I was also considering making one, which I've not done before. I wanted to ask if it was recommended that I make it a do-it-yourself...
19
19

WW1 memoir
This must be shared: https://dn790003.ca.archive.org/0/items/ErnstJngerTheStormOfSteel/Ernst_J%C3%BCnger_The_Storm_of_Steel.pdf...
4
4

Virtue Signaling Vises
I recently posted a picture of a successful very high hold milling operation in a grinder vise on one of those machinist groups. It was a no-name import I am sure. I got a little respect and a little...
16
16

OT: I Fixed It With Trash
Growing up having a country grocery store 60 miles from town we often couldn't get a professional anything out to fix stuff. On the rare occasions when we could the mileage charges and extra time cost...
9
9

Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?
‘Entering the clean power era’: Wind and solar generated a record amount of global power in 2022 CNBC - April 12, 2023 - "We are entering the clean power era," said Małgorzata Wiatros-Motyka,...
8
8

Take a _______ And Go ________ Some ________!
I'm headed out to the shop to make a small production run of molds, but I can only sing the same song so many times. Lets hear what you did today. (The last week or to is fine.)
25
25

Rolling Metal
So, did any of you guys ever get sucked into Rolling Metal's videos. "Well this is what I did last time and I'm not happy with it. So here we are scrapping metal in a circular motion for 30 minutes...
11
11

Short Back Set Entry Lock Bolts
I want to replace two entry lock sets on my shop to match the interior doors, but the steel doors have a much shorter backset from the jamb than the "normal" lockset. What do I look for? Where do I...
9
9

Another interesting project
I got a call the other day from a guy that builds banjos ... yes , he's a banjo builder . Anyway , he builds up the body band with 3 layers of wood , apparently steamed wood to get it to bend that...
2
2

Metal content - 27 year old Ford Ranger
Working on cars doesn't get any easier as we age - - - When I bought this old Ranger 11 years ago with 307000Km on it I paid to have the clutch replaced - $300 parts and $600 labor. (quote now is $900...
15
15