NXT compatible with RCX?

My child has saved his allowance to buy a Mindstorm set, but now we see that there is a new version on the way. Does anyone here know if the old stuff
will be able to work with the new stuff? Seems like it should, backward compatablity being the standard, but I don't want to advise him until I know for sure.
IOW, if we buy one now, then want more sets later, will we have to have multiple transmitters, software and differently written instructions for each type of brick?
-- Bill DeWitt
Bill DeWitt wrote:

I read in an article on NXT in the current issue of Wired that it isn't backwardly compatible (Feb issue, P110) with v2.0, I'd recommend reading the article though.
G.
--
Graham J. Platt
graham (a) bowhunter (d) demon (d) co (d) uk
Bill DeWitt wrote:

Thanks for the info about compatability and I have another question on that subject.
If we end up getting a used one while waiting for the new one, will the lessons he learns be directly applicable to the new one. IOW, is the programming language the same, will there be the same method of forming loops and conditional statements?
--
Bill DeWitt
The one function that TV news performs very well is that, when there is
Bill DeWitt wrote:

Orkie" <"orkie[removethis] mentioned in passing :

Thanks Orkie. I found a demo page for Robolab and the demo was totally graphical, do you know if you can get past that into the written language?
--
Bill DeWitt
Everybody is a nice guy, underneath it all. What we become when the
Bill DeWitt wrote:

Lego only has only made one non-graphical programming tool as far as I'm aware and that is MindScript, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you want a decent text based programming language which uses the official firmware, take a look at NQC: http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/nqc / It is free, C-like and very powerful. Most people who use MindStorms use it now since all the official programming environments are too limited. Furthermore, the author has announced that they will be porting it to the NXT meaning that any existing programs should run with little or no modification.
Hope that helps.
PS: A good IDE for NQC can be found here: http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net /. It saves you having to use the command prompt to compile all your programs as well as allowing you to remotely read raw sensor values etc.
Orkie" <"orkie[removethis] mentioned in passing :

Thanks! That looks like exactly what I wanted, it might make it worth buying a second party RCX based set.
--
Bill DeWitt
When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends.
Bill DeWitt wrote:

leJOS is good but it is at lower level than NQC, which would be my only gripe with it as a first MindStorms language.
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Orkie" <"orkie[removethis] mentioned in passing :

I have not had more than a preliminary look at both, but I was a little concerned that leJOS did not seem "done" yet, in that routines for some hardware were still being developed. Was my first impression from their home page wrong?
I did like the idea, whether deserved or not, that while learning leJOS we would also be getting some introduction to JAVA. Is this a reasonable interpretation of their web page info? Their FAQ page ( http://lejos.sourceforge.net/faq.html ) is not working for me.
I won't have time to actually take a closer look at all this stuff until the weekend, so I appreciate any conversation and opinions. Of course... I don't even have the mindstorm in my hand yet.
--
Bill DeWitt
The only Zen you find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up