NXT compatible with RCX?

My child has saved his allowance to buy a Mindstorm set, but now we see that
there is a new version on the way. Does anyone here know if the old stuff
will be able to work with the new stuff? Seems like it should, backward
compatablity being the standard, but I don't want to advise him until I know
for sure.
IOW, if we buy one now, then want more sets later, will we have to have
multiple transmitters, software and differently written instructions for
each type of brick?
Reply to
Bill DeWitt
I read in an article on NXT in the current issue of Wired that it isn't backwardly compatible (Feb issue, P110) with v2.0, I'd recommend reading the article though.
G.
Reply to
Graham
A converter cable will be included with the educational version of the NXT:
each type of brick will have different software etc. (hough I read that NQC will be usable on both).
I would wait until the NXT comes out to buy a MindStorms set now, especially since Lego has stopped manufacturing the original sets anyway, so you can only get them second hand.
Bill DeWitt wrote: > My child has saved his allowance to buy a Mindstorm set, but now we see that > there is a new version on the way. Does anyone here know if the old stuff > will be able to work with the new stuff? Seems like it should, backward > compatablity being the standard, but I don't want to advise him until I know > for sure. > > IOW, if we buy one now, then want more sets later, will we have to have > multiple transmitters, software and differently written instructions for > each type of brick? > > -- > Bill DeWitt > >
Reply to
Orkie
Thanks for the info about compatability and I have another question on that subject.
If we end up getting a used one while waiting for the new one, will the lessons he learns be directly applicable to the new one. IOW, is the programming language the same, will there be the same method of forming loops and conditional statements?
Reply to
Bill DeWitt
If you buy RoboLab (the programming language used in schools for MindStorms), then things should be fairly similar with the new brick. Otherwise, no.
Bill DeWitt wrote: > Thanks for the info about compatability and I have another question on that > subject. > > If we end up getting a used one while waiting for the new one, will the > lessons he learns be directly applicable to the new one. IOW, is the > programming language the same, will there be the same method of forming > loops and conditional statements? > >
Reply to
Orkie