12.5mm Collets

My Lorch-Schmidt lathe uses 12.5mm collets and I have a few missing from the set -- I'm tentatively trying and find out how standard these are as an item. After asking around at Alexandra Palace juding from the blank looks most people seem to think I've got the dimensions wrong! From my initial perusal of some catalogues they aren't standard at all -- Schaublin seem to use 12mm as their standard.

The set I have are partially Lorch and some Crawford (CC).

Alan Bain

Reply to
Alan Bain

Alan,

I'm that you've been through this already but where are you measuring the

12.5mm? Looking at the De Carle book on such things he lists Lorch collets with a 12.5mm OD of the front face with an 8mm threaded portion. These would normally be referred to as 8mm collets of which there should be a plentiful supply. Just a thought.

Mark

Mark_Howard

Alan, I suspect that Mark is correct in his assumption.

I have various sized Lorch Lathes .. they are 6mm, 8mm and 10mm. 10mm is the size for the bench, 8mm for the clock and watch, and 6mm is for the watch Lathe.

I too suspect that you have standard 8mm collets and are just measuring the wrong part of the 'part'.

What dimensions are the lathe that these collets fit?

IanB

Reply to
ticktock

It's a good idea, but they aren't 8mm collets; I've got a (very incomplete) set of those for a smaller WW lathe. These are 12.5mm diameter on the parallel part which goes inside the mandrel with a thread on the end of about 11.5mm OD x 1mm pitch. I've never seen anything like them before. CC code is 1580 (not that this helps me much).

Lathe is 4" centre height, 20" between centres. I suspect it is a rather early specimen judging by the general style of construction (round leather belt drive to headstock).

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Alan, have just come across your post.

The lorch collets are pretty difficult to find and as you state they are 12.5 mm across the plain portion with a length of about 97 mm. I have spotted some occasionally on ebay where I was lucky enough to obtain a reasonably complete set some years ago. My Lorch is the plain toolmakers lathe, 100mm center height probably dating from the 1920`s and has the outdated "backward" acting feedscrews on the compound so needs to be used with caution.

Lorch designated this collet as their A1 spannzangen, a fact I only discovered a little over a week ago during a visit to the Deutches museum library where I was allowed access to some early Lorch catalogs they have. You are probably aware of the excellent resource

which has quite a bit of information. My lathe is pictured on www.micprotech. com.

good luck with your search

David Harding

Reply to