H3 collets

I have an opportunity to acquire a full set of H 3 collets for a very reasonable price. Will these fit either an Enco 13 X 30 or and 11" Logan lathe? Can a closer be acquired or built to adapt these collets to either of these two lathes?

Reply to
Paul G. Shultz

Hmm ... I don't see an "H 3" collet listed in the 25th edition of _Machinery's Handbook_. I *do* see a "3H" listed. A little smaller than a 5C, with a 7/8" maximum size round stock, instead of 1" through or 1-1/8" short grip for the 5C.

Bearing diameter is 1-1/8", so the question is whether you can pass a drawtube of that diameter or a little bigger through the spindle. If you can go to 1-3/8" through the spindle, go for 5C collets instead. It'll be cheaper when you need square or hex collets for a particular project later.

However -- if it is truly an "H 3", I would be interested in hearing more about its dimensions. Without those, no bets. I would guess that the 13x30 would handle 5C collets, and maybe even the 11" Logan (depends on which one I think, and Scott Logan could tell you that.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hello Don. My Logan #922, 11inch Q.C., takes 5C collets very nicely. Sure are a handy chucking method. Regards, Bob rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry

[ ... ]

Great! So does my 12x24" Clausing.

Absolutely agreed -- especially with a lever style closer, which mine has.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Envy is such an ugly emotion . Mine is the 'twist to tighten'. Not nearly as quick, but works. Sure beats setting things up in the

4jaw. Regards, Bob rgentry at oz dot net
Reply to
Bob Gentry

Well ... I'll bet that *your* lathe came with a tailstock. I had to hunt one down that fit. (Granted, what it *did* come with is very useful for some things -- but still a tailstock is quite useful for general working. (What it did come with was a bed turret.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols