Interesting compressor deal

We'll see how it plays out.

I figure that out of the three main components (motor, pump and tank) at least two are good. Maybe all three, as often happens with compressors. Each should be worth more than what I paid. Should be fun.

Reply to
Ignoramus13440

I bought the same model compressor with a single phase motor several years ago with a patch welded on the tank. I found a good 200 gal. horizontal tank and swapped all the goodies to it and it has been my main compressor since. I cut the mounting plate off the old tank and welded it to the mounting plate on the new tank. That made things so much easier. Steve

Reply to
Up North

Nice. 200 gallon tank, surely takes a while to pump up to pressure.

I wish I had a yard like Gunner, for a tank like that.

This compressor, clearly has a three phase motor, though.

Reply to
Ignoramus13440

Speaking of compressor tanks, I'm looking for a cheap 25-40 gal or so compressor tank which does not need to be in perfect condition as it will not be pressurized above about 5 PSI in my target application.

Reply to
Pete C.

What is your application?

I recently bought a cheap 22 gallon compressor to convert into a forge. Last night, I actually started making a burner for it. I want to try hard to use natural gas, though I admit that success is not assured by any means.

Reply to
Ignoramus13440

Old water heaters are usually free.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I started thinking that seems pretty big at 200 gallons. I went out and measured it and it is only a paltry 152.99 gallons. I really don't notice the run time as I use quite a bit of air running my CNC plasma cutting table and paint booth. My old 5 hp Champion compressor would just barely keep up. Steve

I do have a large yard almost filled with goodies. It comes in handy when I need something out of "inventory"

Reply to
Up North

Storage / "air bladder" tank for CNC plasma cutting water table. 24" x

36" cut area x somewhere in the 4"-6" depth, hence the 25-40 gal capacity. Air pressure only goes high enough to displace coolant from the tank up to the table area 18" above.
Reply to
Pete C.

Up North wrote: (snip)

I've got a 200 gallon tank on my Quincy:

If I remember right, it takes about 5 minutes to get to 120 PSI from empty using a 15hp motor. I'll try and time it the next time I use it. I might be using the power hammer this weekend.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Nice. I once sold a compressor with a 240 gallon tank ("mother of all compressors"). That's huge.

Here in Illinois, the weather is not as friendly to "inventory" and it quickly degrades into rust.

Reply to
Ignoramus13440

Minnesota too. Gunner has it nice with the low humidity.

Reply to
Up North

Im in the middle of one of the worst fog seasons Ive seen in many years. Ive been out with the paste wax a lot lately.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:01:09 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I'm in the Pacific Northwest - this is where the rain jokes began.

Interesting phenomena I noted this evening. There is fog over the river, filling the river bed. Tends to also be forming over the standing water, too. Yeehaa. The road isn't closed, yet. Down to alternating one lane. Will be interesting to see about getting home tonight.

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A year ago tonight I was taking pictures of dew worms crawling on the driveway and patio, temperature was +14C. Now it is -3C with 3" fresh snow over the last 24 hours. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

What's that Lassie? You say that Pete C. fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:53:04 -0600:

The last wet cutting table I saw was a tank within a tank. The bigger tank is open topped, and the smaller tank is facing down. There was about 1/2" of space all around the perimeter. Air is introduced at the top of the smaller down facing tank and the water is pushed out the 1/2" gap and covers the top of the smaller tank, providing the wet cutting surface. Purging the air lets the water drain back down. Evaporation is minimal when not in use due to the small air/water interface when drained.

Reply to
dan

That design is probably better for large tables, but for a 24" x 36" a separate tank allowing full drain down for cleaning of the cutting table and retrieval of the cutouts is better.

Reply to
Pete C.

Id be happy to be going someplace. Ive been home since the Friday before Christmas. Not a single service call since then. I figured the phone would start ringing Monday last....nothing.

I start cold calling clients tommorow....sigh

But..the shop and the property are looking pretty good. Shrug. Ive been staying busy. I knew this was going to be the slow season...but Crom..not this slow....

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:31:27 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I got to start cold calling potential employers. Most of the shops were closed for the holidays, either due to cutbacks, or the snow (and now the floods). Not all the shops were closed, buddy of mine got called in for an interview - they want to pay him 50% more and put him in charge of the shift. Some guys have all the skills.

Don't worry - the light at the end of the tunnel? That's an eight hundred pound gorilla with a flashlight.

pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch wrote: (snip)

That reminds me, have you tried out Google Crom yet?

Todd Rich

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 23:43:11 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich scrawled the following:

Um, Pete?

I heard that the light at the end of the tunnel was muzzle flash.

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques