3 Jaw SC Chuck Jaw Positions

Hi all hope you are all well. Having spent a couple of days car "fixing" I can now return to sorting out the hobby toys.

I have rescued a 3 jaw off of a nearly new but slightly damaged Emco Compact 8E, it's a "Universal" (?) and does not appear to have any numbering for jaw positions. One jaw slide is marked with the serial number and I assume that is the No1? All of my other chucks seem to go anti-clockwise (from front), is that standard?

I'm not sure if this is standard Emco equipment but the chuck which was unused and in a box is quite disappointing; with the jaws installed as I have said if one tightens the jaws down (gently) 2 jaws touch and leave just a hint of play in the third. Obviously if you tighten it fully it disappears but leaves me with the feeling that this jaw lags a bit.

Does anyone use these Emco lathes? It is virtually unused except that it has a damaged rack and pinion - I don't suppose that it would cost the earth to fix but I have not seen one on Ebay for months and have no idea if it would have a second hand value to make it worthwhile. I know the smaller versions are quite popular but this one seems much less so. At the moment I think that the chucks and the motor/switchgear are worth more to me. Seems a pity to chuck away a nearly new bed though - any ideas what it could make? I already have a ball turning tool/taper turning attachment as you suggested so what shall I do with this?

Best regards Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I would think that if the jaw alignment is fairly close the order of the jaws must be correct. You might try number 1 in the other two slots to see if the alignment improves. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young