A better drill pump

I have been using for a while one of those handy little plastic pump gizmos that go on a normal electric drill for transfering diesel and various other liquids, but really want something a bit more robust and selfcontained without spending the earth. But there seems to be a big gap between these cheapo pumps at around £4 and anything more substantial. Pond pumps come in at the £30 mark but seem very flimsy and I'm not sure how happy they'd be with hydrocarbons. Shower pumps seems much better made but are in the £150 range and rather ott.

Any suggestions for a self priming, 1/2" hose connecting, mains operating, water and diesel pumping, nice little pump?

(I did mount up one of the cheapo's with a small mains motor on a board but managed quickly to burn out the flexy rotor bond to it's shaft before it primed and self cooled)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I had an almost similar problem, I wanted a cheap submersible low voltage pump for slightly dirty water and was very pleased to find a wide choice of bilge pumps in ebay from a tenner upwards. Not strictly self priming either, how much suck do you need? Note I havn't tried these with hydrocarbons but I expect the impeller and seals would be compatible. The other thing I looked at at was recycled waste pumps from dishwashers or washing machines. Reasonably powerful induction motors (so no sparks) and probably hydrocarbon compatible pump body and seal materials. Shower pumps look quite similar but usually seem to have brush motors (bad idea wiith hydrocarbon vapours).

Reply to
Newshound

A Jabsco Water Puppy springs to mind, readily available in 12V & 24V DC, there might be a mains option if you ask Cleghorn Warings. Fine for water but if you use for diesel need the Nitrile impeller option. Specifically for diesel there's the Gear Puppy

Not cheap,but half the price of a shower pump.

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

hydrocarbons but

vapours).

No not submersable - it needs to take 1/2" hose as input and output, and it needs a fair suck to pull up from the bottom of a 45 gallon drum etc. There are a few diaphragm pumps on ebay that seem ok for running dry (going away leaving to pump) but fairly slow flow rates.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Don't bother with lecky. Fit a stand pipe into the main drum fitting on the 45 gal barrel, stop about 1-1/2 from bottom to stay clear of s**te, dead kippers etc. Then fit an air line coupling into the 1/2" gas fitting on the drum, feed at 5 to 7 psi and it will empty the drum in about two minutes..............................sign of a misspent youth.............

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

You, sir, are a genius (albeit slightly evil :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Nice idea for the drum application, but that's only occassional (even my huge genny takes a while to get through 45 galls !) I've been transferring fair quantities of water plus antifreeze with the drill pump as I alter cooling system plumbing on the furnace and that's whats wrecked my drill pump! It is usefull to be able to suck it all out of the various hoses that will not gravity drain.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

That's what wet-and-dry vacuum cleaners are for :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Have you ever thought about using a "bubble lifter" like those used to lift water to tropical fish aquaria?

Reply to
briano

Have you ever thought about using a "bubble lifter" like those used to lift water to tropical fish aquaria filters?

Reply to
briano

Nice bit of lateral thinking but not applicable sadly to the multiple uses I want to put this pump to.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Any slight increase in pressure can lead to a semi-spherical oil drum. Any significant increase in pressure can lead to instantaneous emptying in many directions simultaneously!

Reply to
briano

emptying

...ah ... but great fun, like many of John's suggestions

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

7psi is 3 1/2' of water. A 45 gallon oil drum will cope with this as positive or negative gauge pressure.

Mark Rand RTFN

Reply to
Mark Rand

Would you like to try again?

7 psi is near enough half an atmosphere That's about 15 inches of mercury or 11.3 * 15 /12 feet of water 14 feet of water

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

...boys ...boys ...boys... stoppit ! Emptying a diesel drum was only one (occassional) application, others were actually more important and involve sucking quantities of water plus antifreeze out of a network of neoprene pipes where they cannot drain by gravity ('cos they are in coils)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Feck! That was before I got into the bottle too.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That's what airlines are for. No, not BOAC, the other sort!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand