coolant pump question

I've been looking around for a replacement coolant pump for my CVA lathe, it has a longer spigot than is usual for its capacity. I'd been reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I would have to shell out nearly 200 quid for a new pump when I was given a used pump off a swarf conveyer. This is the right length, but it actually has two identical pumping elements in 'series', stacked one above the other. My guess is that the reason is to give a greater delivery pressure, not something that concerns me. The bottom impeller is seriously loose on the shaft, and while it's certainly possible to bore it out, sleeve it and cut a new keyway my inclination is just to put the upper impeller in the lower housing, and leave the upper housing empty for coolant to pass freely through, my guess is that would be quite adequate for the job in hand. Any comment from someone who understands pumps?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Rotagrip do pumps with various lengths of stem from 90 to 270mm. Although listed at =A380 to =A3100, I phoned them after they sold one on eBay for about =A340 and said they would sell me one for =A345 + VAT and carriage.

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock

Can't see a problem with that. Just try it and drop it in the cut to test. If it's down on delivery fill the top housing with body filler to remove the space.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I'd seen their pumps on ebay, they do two capacities & I reckoned the larger ones, which have the long stems, were overkill for my job. Mind you, if I'd thought I could get one for 40 or 50 quid I would probably have thought differently . I found a firm in the midlands who could supply an Italian made pump to the right spec, off the shelf, but with carriage & vat there would have been no change out of 200 notes.

Thanks Tim

Tim Leech

I've thought about getting a coolant system rather than using the suds in a washing-up liquid bottle but haven't been able to justify the cost as yet. I remember seeing an american site where somebody made up a system using a cheap benchtop parts washer, and though about using this idea myself. Would this work considering the the head for the pump to raise would probably be from the floor to about 4ft up? I think the delivery on them is around 1000 litres per hour.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I'm pulling a lab stone cutting and polishing plant down in the next few weeks. Looks to have a few coolant pumps fitted both single and 3 phase. I'll post later when I know more.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

My Deckel's coolant pump was ruined, and I ruined it even more *) trying to repair it. So I bought a bilge pump for about 30 EUR. Works great.

*) That's a different story: Now I know that the Devon WR resin ruins a mill to absolute useless within a second.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Nick

Do tell us the story, I was thinking of using something like this to fill a couple of small holes in my mill table, not a good idea?

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I expect it would work, though there are some reasonably priced coolant pump/tank combinations available on ebay (& probably elsewhere) from time to time. ISTR that RDG were offering one. One thing which might or might not be an issue with electrical safety is that the parts washers are designed, I assume, for a solvent-based fluid whereas your coolant will probably be water based. Worth checking.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

We used to use a large Machine Mart submersible pond pump on a large grinder. They pumped well and the cable seemed to stand up to the water based coolant. Some of the smaller ones are very cheap and being submersible you don't have to worry about pump length. Just lob it in a bucket of coolant. .

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

The long story: My Deckel's coolant pump is a gear pump. The gears have worn and, albeit the pump is still available at a hefty prize, I decided to repair it. As the gears weren't available ready made, I wanted to reduce the diameter of the case the gears run in (the gears have mostly worn on the outer diameter). So I decided to fill the case with some plastic. I read in a catalog about Devcon WR that it is for pumps. Bingo! So I bought it (expensive), made some setup to get only about 2mm onto the surface of the case, casted it in and started with rough cutting out what was to much. A 20mm HSS mill, freshly grined dived into the hole. Strange sound ... no chips ... depth reached, mill came out and was: Conical and shaped like a radius cutter. >:-/ Most of the Devcon was as it was before. I phoned Devon and asked what tools to use to cut it. First answer was HSS that I didn't believe, then they told me carbide and promised that a technician will call me back. Final answer: Devcon WR can only be cut with diamond tools.

The short story: Devcon WR contains carbide and can't be machined. Period. The WR stands for wear resistant and that is the truth! I later used it in my mill's table to fill a small hole and scraped it flat with a carbide scrapper (that also got dull). Use something different or use it when you can cast it into the shape you want.

The original pump is sitting in the lowest drawer now. Still not working ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Very useful to know, thanks Nick.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Nick

Thanks for that, extremely useful, I'll look for something else or stick with my old fashioned method of using lead. At least if I make a "b**ls up" I can get it back out again. Very useful info though for somewhere that it can be cast or accurately shaped before curing that requires hard wearing properties.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

i have used the 12 volt (wahle) water pump from a touring caravan for

few years now and it still is working a treat, the pump cost around £1 and the cost of a cheap car battery, it has never let me down an delivers a constant supply of coolant, also a safer low volt tha

240...

maybe a cheaper alternative for someone...

bil

-- blueswar

this thread:

blueswarf

In article , John Stevenson writes

That's what I use on my Colchester. Works well.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton