A sad sight

Was working at a container base in Manchester today and a small part of the contained about 7 or 8 lathes owipester, Harrison and Boxford. Also various milling machines in a row. When I asked was was happening to them I was told they had been purchased at various auction's and would wait until sufficient numbers to go into containers and get shipped over seas.

Now Not sure why as i guess that scrap iron would not be worth moving, the machines did look better then scrap so wondering were they may be headed.

Not another case of shipping all our engineering equipment to Asia so they can whip us at that as well.

Reminded me of the spinning and weaving industry were the equipment was all exported to areas that can now wipe us out of the market.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

That's about bang on. For some time the largest markets for engineering equipment (large as well as small) has been abroad. This is not just engineering, my brother is in the printing trade and large numbers of secondhand printing equipment is shipped abroad. You have already mentioned the same happening in hte textile industry, and it is probably happening in many more.

Here's a frightening statistic, China has enough scope for expansion (labour force, factories, etc.) to manufacture everything that is currently produced in the world. And given half a chance they bloody would as well!

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

They are probably in their way to India. That is where all the machine tools that have been sold from our factory are going. The Chinese don't want them because they buy new!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I think they've got their half a chance.

In my own profession, the Chinese are making huge inroads into the market. To some degree they're still tarred with the brush of poor quality goods, but in the last year or so the tide has turned and I'm seeing goods come out of China that, whilst still not top-notch quality, are incredible value for money - and more than adequate for the purpose.

You might feel that there's perhaps some consolation to be had in thinking that although we may no longer be a 'manufacturing power' we might at least be a 'maintenance power' in the global marketplace - but the economics look pretty bleak...when the goods break in any major fashion it's cheaper to simply buy a new one than have it repaired.

As the Chinese saying goes - we live in interesting times...

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

But the Chinese need iron & steel; a local machinery mover told me he clears old machines off site when he delivers new ones, the old ones go into containers and when they're full, they go to China destined for the foundry. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

China's huge apetite for materials has had a couple of effects over here, firstly that scrap has a value again (watch out -people have stasrted nicking old metal to sell) and secondly Corus (formerly British Steele) has made it's first profit in years!

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

This kind of thing has been going on for longer than you may think. A fellow here in Washington State USA was making good money for a while importing second-hand flypresses from Korea and selling them to hobbyists. These were British made presses that had been sold second-hand to Korean industrial customers about 30 years earlier. I guess that really makes the presses here in Washington third-hand.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

This is what happens when UK manufacturers operate underrestrictions that don't apply to foreign exporters. I'm all in favour of minium wages, H&S (reasonably applied) and environmental protection, but allowing imports not produced under the same legislative regimes is the death-knell of UK industry.

Reply to
Tim Christian

Tim Christiaacross:

underrestrredundanthat

I have come across UK manufacturers that have closed down their own factories and made staff redundant. Imported the goods from Asia because the costs of the H&S and our labour force has been too much to compete on the market.

It always beggers belief that a part can be made is Asia, Imported to the UK, have import duties and taxes added and still be cheaper then to make it here in the UK.

Then again we all go to the supermarket to buy cheep imported cloths and fabric's. Cheap Imported Electronics knowing full well it is not supporting any UK industry. So I wonder who has the final say were we obtain goods from. Industry or the consumer?

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson