Acme threaded bar

I need to replace the crossfeed screw on my lathe.

I decided the easiest way would be to buy a length of Acme threaded rod - 1 /2" X 10 left hand thread.

I then searched around for quotes for an 18" length, more than enough. The first quote was from a well known supplier of screws and racks was for £7

0.00 plus carriage. The second quote was from another often mentioned suppl ier who offered a price of £33.60 inclusive.

Getting better I thought, until I read on an American forum about a company called McMaster-Carr. Looking on their web-site I was amazed to see the Ac me threaded rod I needed for $18.00, but for a 36" length!

Luckily I had a friend visiting relatives in the US who would fetch it for me. The total cost to me was £15.41 which included taxes and shipping to a US address.

I am still staggered at the difference in cost, and cannot understand why t he UK suppliers of the same product charge so much.

I hope this story might be of use to others.

John H

Reply to
John H

12mm by 3mm acme leadscrew is £7.35 for 500mm plus £5 postage on eBay ...

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother