add a gap

Any thoughts from the panel on converting an 1800 Student from non-gap to gap? I have a gash gap piece.

thanks

Reply to
Roland Craven

How would you go about it Roland?

Mark.

Reply to
mark

I was under the impression that each gap piece was unique to each lathe, it being fitted and machined in place. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Oh dear, back to the angle grinder again !!! Dave

Reply to
DAVE

IMO you'd never be able to stress relieve it and regain accuracy without a ton of work..

Reply to
steamer

Thanks for the thoughts. I can get access to tools big enough but I think the above is the killer. I'll leave well alone.

Reply to
Roland Craven

I'd second that. The base of the gap piece is scraped to a good fit, then the ways of the lathe including gap piece are ground.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've a feeling that the casting of a gap Student has extra ribs up at the headstock end to compensate for the lack of meat there.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I haven't a clue how to do it, but I am curious as to why you want to?

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin