add a gap

Any thoughts from the panel on converting an 1800 Student from non-gap to gap? I have a gash gap piece.
thanks

--
Roland Craven
Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK

How would you go about it Roland?
Mark.

Oh dear, back to the angle grinder again !!! Dave

I was under the impression that each gap piece was unique to each lathe, it being fitted and machined in place. Bob

lathe, it

I'd second that. The base of the gap piece is scraped to a good fit, then the ways of the lathe including gap piece are ground.
AWEM
    IMO you'd never be able to stress relieve it and regain accuracy without a ton of work..
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...

Thanks for the thoughts. I can get access to tools big enough but I think the above is the killer. I'll leave well alone.
--
Roland Craven
Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK

I've a feeling that the casting of a gap Student has extra ribs up at the headstock end to compensate for the lack of meat there.
AWEM

I haven't a clue how to do it, but I am curious as to why you want to?
Cliff Coggin.