Advice on moving machines (South East/East England)

I've never moved a machine before which I cannot break down into pieces which can be lifted by a couple of people. However, I have been thinking of purchasing a heavily built small vertical mill on cabinet stand and the base casting is too heavy to be moved in this way.

As my main interest is watches and clocks, I don't posses engine hoists, pallet trucks, trailers, tow bars or other useful pieces of lifting/moving equipment which seem necessary for this type of work.

Therefore, looks like I need to place the task into the hands of a professional, but ideally someone fairly local to the South East/East (I am in Bucks). Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might find someone suitable, or even any recommendations?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Possibly consider begging/borrowing/stealing/buying an engine crane to assist in the move. I bought a MachineMart 1 ton folding crane some years ago and the £200 was well spent as it has proved very useful over the years. It was purchased as I knew I was going to be buying a fly press and needed something to lift it. The most significant work it has done recently was moving a Hayes Diemaster mill for a friend, that is a small heavily built vertical mill. While the crane could lift it we used the crane to dismantle the mill into its basic components and load it into a Ford Transit and then used it to reassemble the mill at the other end of the journey at a later date once the parts were cleaned up.

Other than that you want a company with a flatbed and HIAB possibly. I know a company my way but that's not local to you. Last time I enquired a couple of years ago the price was around £40/hour but when I used another local guy with that sort of rig it was surprising how fast he could load and unload things so the price was quite good.

I don't know whether you can rent smaller trucks with a lift crane easily but the last time I got a lathe delivered it was on a rental truck.

Reply to
David Billington

Landylift: he advertises on the homeworkshop sales list

AWEM

lifting/moving

East/East

enquired

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'll second that re Landylift, He moved a mill from Nr Portsmouth to N Shropshire for me and did a superb job, no problems at all, a very satisfied customer. Try this link

luck Don

Reply to
Donwill

Good luck

This thread is now quite old, but the following information draws it to a close. Following the suggestions received here I contactaed Landylift, who moved the Boley Mill for me and did an excellent job. Thus I am another satisfied customer!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain